Our flight out of Richmond first took us to Atlanta, GA (1 hour), a short layover (45 minutes) and then into Mexico City (3 hours)...It was a very nice, short and easy day of travel. I didn't hear a peep out of the boys, got quite a bit of sleep myself since Jamison fell asleep during both flights right at take-off, and we all were treated to a rare sight as we flew around Tropical Storm Edouard. We actually flew above and to the right of the storm as the pilot pointed out some interesting facts about navigating around storms like these. Weston ate it up of course.
Flying into the city, the outskirts are beautiful:
We arrived in Mexico City at 3pm, breezed right through customs (yea we cheated though since we did the Diplomat route), enjoyed the friendliness of the airport staff which was just icing on the cake of what could have been a very stressful day. The acting ICE Attaché met us with 2 SUVs to load us plus our 15 large suitcases (hey, when you are going to be living out of suitcases for a while it pays to bring as many as you are authorized!)
Our drive to the hotel was very quick. I was surprised that it was already 4:30pm and traffic really wasn't that bad. I guess I was expecting chaos but while it was a little bit stop and go, it was pretty orderly.
WARNING: HORTICULTURE GEEK MOMENT
Along the way I noticed that many of the hell strips (the area of soil between the sidewalk and the street) in front of these little decrepit apartment buildings and shoddy tiendas, were surrounded with makeshift fences and turned into well tended gardens. There were some that were just 2 feet wide and several feet long and others that had plenty of walking space. I've seen hell strip gardens before, of course, but to see an area of such poverty and decline with such cared for gardens I was a little taken aback. I've since found out that people really value gardens here in the city and will put them anywhere they can. The city puts a lot of money into maintaining green spaces and the locals do the same with whatever little spot of soil they have. Proof that you can have a little bit of Eden anywhere. I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures of the really nice ones but by the time I remembered I had my camera we had already passed a lot of them but here is an example:
We spent the first week trying to get everything done to in-process into the embassy, get our housing set up and just try and get a feel for the city. We went through a full day of briefings at the embassy dealing with health issues, security and the day-to-day information about life in Mexico City. Kris has spent a lot of time trying to get our housing set up. Right now we are living at the Sheraton Centro Historico which is a great location to see the historic center of the city.
So much is within walking distance and the kids and I have already explored Alameda Park which is just across from the hotel. It is full of large water fountains, statuary, and decorative benches all connected by cobbled walkways set out in a geometric pattern under a canopy of trees. The park is full of handicraft vendors and little snack and candy carts. On Saturdays and Sundays the park is completely packed with musicians and street performers. We could see the monument to Benito Juarez from our first hotel room window that is located as you enter the park.
This next week I hope to take the kids to the Children's Museum and the Mexican History museum that is located in a huge park called Chapultepec Park (for comparison Central Park is 843 acres, Chapultepec Park is 1800 acres). There is also a historic castle, the botanic gardens, paddle boats on one of several lakes, and a zoo. I think this park alone will keep the kids and I busy for a while.
The kids have spent a lot of time in the hotel pool (it's kind of chilly outside right now so it's nice the pool is heated)
The Boys love the elevators and we have been know to ride them up and down several times in a row. Cheap entertainment really pays off.
We have spent the first week relatively healthy. I had a hard time adjusting to the altitude at first (we are 7,349 feet high!) but the boys did well. Jamison and I have had minor upset stomachs but nothing major. We've already been told by the health unit nurse to plan on getting Moctezuma's Revenge...it's not a matter of IF but WHEN. The air pollution isn't too bad right now because it is the rainy season but it is still irritating (think chlorine eyes after swimming and that's how your eyes feel after spending all day outside). Since we will most likely be living in Santa Fe we can look forward to a lot less pollution which will be nice not to have to worry about being constantly in the middle of the worst of it.
10 comments:
Wow! Oh I am so happy you are there! YAY! It looks beautiful and it sounds like you having a much better experience thus far! YAY! It sounds like lots of fun too! I am excited to keep hearing more about it! And I hope that you and Jamison get feeling better SOON!!!
So after living two years in Mexico, Brandon forces us all to drink a coke with every "shaddy" meal.
He swears the coke kills the "bugs" and that is what all the missionaries did.
I didn't believe him at first, until we went down with 6 of us and everyone had a coke when we were at a somewhat dirtier establishment. 5 of them got a coke and yes lone me got a Peñafiel.
Well I was sick the whole evening and into the next day, while the 5 of them went to Xel Ha! SUCK A DUCK!
btw... You sound so much happier than Caracas and I am sooooo happy for you!
And hey!!! We were up at the same time!!!
Fox- We ate at Sanborns last night...I can't believe you would actually trick us like that! I guess it's on us since we actually believed you! Ha Ha! Don't worry, we'll get you back...you are not allowed to recommend any more restaurants!
I am so confused!!! I was totally not kidding. It is our favorite restaurant there. I just forwarded your reply email to Brandon.
So has the restaurant gone to pot since I was there last? Was there cool tile everywhere to look at? Wast your waiter picking his nose? Sorry you didn't like it!
Oh my gosh it was like a really scuzzy Mexican Denny's that looked like a government cafeteria. I wish there was cool tile to look at but the walls were just utilitarian with plastic plants stapled to the walls and behind the booths. Even the dishes were weird...they had chinese scenery on them. The waitresses didn't even have clean uniforms on, they were a historical costume (the dress that has the huge triangle collar that is stiff and jutts off the shoulders) but were severely worn out and ill-fitting most dragging on the floor (poor girls trying to wait tables in those things!). They wore nametags that even looked like government identification. The whole time Kris and I were thinking "Are the Calls out of their mind?" We both ordered the tortilla soup and it was mostly a mix of "once crispy but now gelatinous and slimy" fried pork rinds and gobs of mushy tortillas. I'm wondering if you went to a Sanborns in another location. This one we were at is in Centro Historico. Ask Brandon where you guys went because if the place you went had cool tiles on the wall I'd go there just to see that...I'm a Mexican tile junkie and am bringing enough back with me to do our whole house....I have 2 years to collect!
Garity, were you at the Zocalo last night?
You sound much better there. I have been trying to limit my time on the computer so this has been fun to catch up....
Fox- no we weren't. Our hotel is pretty close to it though...walking distance.
Good to read your blog again. So happy you, the boys and Kris are with you..prayers have been answered along with lots of hard work by wonderful Garity and Kris!! Dan and family were here about 9 days from July 21 - 29. Kery and family flew back with me after Andra's wedding and will be here until th 18th. Oh it will be hard to see them go!! You and Garity and boys have an "open invitation" to visit us ...anytime you get the time. It is a fun and relaxing place to visit and just hang out. Bill and I would love it!!
Take care, Love Mom
Post a Comment