Dollars to Pesos is approximately 1 to 10 so estimating conversion is easy (and with my mathematical abilities I'm so grateful all I have to do is move the decimal point over!). So just to do one shirt it’s $6.30 USD x 5 x 5 days…yea you get picture and that's just one article of clothing type. I asked the laundry service manager if there was a lower cost for children's clothes but he said no. I was not about to spend that amount of money on laundry just on principle and because I don't get paid that much to do OUR laundry, not even close! I'll take that up with Kris later although I do get to keep any money he forgets in his pockets...that's the rule. I don't care if we could use part of our per diem on it (actually laundry at these prices would put us over our limit so we'd end up paying for it out of our own pockets anyway). I next asked the concierge about a laundromat that was close...none.
I felt a little adventurous at this point. Why couldn't I just hand wash it all? I could then hang it all up, it would dry in a day and we'd be good to go. I mean, how hard could it be? I've seen it done, I've hand washed stuff before. The mom on Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory did it while singing a song even! I just needed a large tub...bathtub would work, some detergent, liquid fabric softener and a large paddle to stir it all with, plus some elbow grease....easy peasy! The boys and I walked down the street and into 3 stores until we found one that had some laundry detergent and liquid fabric softener. They were really excited about hand washing the clothes and kept asking about how we were going to do it and if they could help. Why not? I'd happily put them to work.
The boy's bathtub got filled with hot water and all of the whites. Our bathtub was filled with warm water and the colored clothes. Our sink was filled with cold water and hand-wash only items. I divied up the laundry detergent and the boys took turns stirring the clothes with a curtain pull/push rod that had fallen off that morning...what luck! We had a 'paddle'...I call that being resourceful! Why do the boys have their shirts off? When I asked them they said it was because they were going to be hard workers...OK whatever, trying to figure out where they got that one from but it works for me ALSO FYI the water with the whites looks gross but it's because the laundry detergent has a greenish-blue color to it!
Weston was interested in fireproofing the clothes:
We let everything soak for a while and then I got in there and agitated the whole mess scrubbing each item in turn. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be! I could have considered it a very serious workout...which I did...so I wouldn't feel guilty about thinking I deserved dessert that night.
We drained the tubs and filled them with fresh water...oops, used way too much soap so we would have to swish those around, drain again and refill with clear water and some Downy fabric softener. The boys then asked if they could get into the tubs and stomp around to help rinse the clothes...why not?!
At this point I was thinking "HA! Take that Sheraton laundry service! This is working out just fine! The boys were having fun and so was I. So then we let all the water out of the tubs...and then it hit me...I forgot about wringing ALL of the water out...do you know that your hands can get blisters from wringing clothes?...A lot of clothes?
I finally got through all of it and then realized, where was I going to hang all of this up? So the kids and I got creative Jamison even got in on hanging things up...well he was doing a good job until I tried to catch it on camera.
I'm sparing you the sight of the whites being hung up...no need to share underwear shots right?) Most of the clothes would be dry in a few hours...the jeans maybe overnight at the most, right? WRONG! The clothes that were hanging on the bathroom laundry line and curtain rod didn't dry at all and those that were in the room did better because I had the air cranked but that next evening things were still damp so I ended up ironing every single item of clothing to fully dry them all...took me 4 hours. Unfortunately I learned that ironed t-shirts and underwear are REALLY nice! I've never worn ironed jeans either...I loved it!...but not enough to go through that again!
So what did we learn? 1. The kids are so bored that hand washing clothes is fun for them. 2. I have NEVER taken my washing machine and dryer for granted before this but now I realize that I really love them and the time they save me. 3. The kids can wear clothes more than once if they don't look or smell dirty...I can't believe I just wrote that, this is only temporary! 4. Laundry detergent is not kind to hands, neither is wringing clothing...on top of my gardening calluses I now have blisters and detergent induced dermatitis...wanna hold my hand Sirk? 5. I need to make some friends quick so I can use their washing machine until we get into a place that has one. 6. When a new family moves here I will personally seek them out to offer them use of my washing machine and dryer whenever they need it.
15 comments:
Garity, if you didn't see a really cool staircase all made in blue tile that goes up to the bathrooms, then it was a different place. 20 foot ceilings? Not ringing a bell? I am seriously so confuse!!!
Brandon's sister gets back tomorrow from Mexico, I will talk to her.
WHAT? Everyone doesn't have their kids where their clothes more than once? haha!!
Most excellent post!!!! I will be laughing for a week!!!
Not even close...I'm going to ask around...maybe there is more than one Sanborn's?
Garity - space permitting, I promise that when we get back to the states you will have 2 washing machines and 2 dryers.
Your story is WAY better than mine!! Wow! It is amazing how much we take washing machines and dryers for granted!
Oh my freaking gosh!!! I had to do that on my mission but it was only me not 4 other people!!! I feel your pain!!!
Wow I'm impressed. I don't think I could have paid that for my clothes to be washed, but after that one experience I would be done. Now you know what it's like to be a pioneer. At least you didn't have to haul your own water and heat it on the stove! Way to go. I'm glad the boys got to help, they won't forget it any time soon.
Great post, great story. Your kids will likely remember that for the rest of their lives (the older ones any way). It does look fun :)
So, I did it on my mission (once) too, just to appreciate what what was involved in the process. There were only a handful of people that had washing machines in my entire mission, same with phones, only a handful of the very rich who had phones. We paid members very modestly to cook for us, do our laundry, and even to rent out rooms. I don't remember any of our laundry people ever having washing machines.
Imagine this, coming around a corner heading to pick up your bag of clean laundry to discover that your's and your companion's clothes (including garments and all) are not quite ready yet and are hanging on clothes lines draped across the entire yard. Yeah, I guess I didn't realize what all was involved in washing our clothes (and that my underwear would be flying like the star spangled banner in the wind for all to see).
They scrubbed using a wash board and bar of laundry soap and they usually had a metal wringer to crank the clothes through (at least that part was of the unpleasantness was aided by a manual crank machine. I didn't think twice about it really until I attempted to wash my own clothes by hand that one time. Never again, I'd rather be out getting doors slammed in my face then spend my time/effort in that labor :)
I wrote in my journal about a girl in one of the wards that I served in, that I had a crush on. OK, she was pretty and I was an affection starved missionary. I really became enamored when I saw her starring in a local kid's TV program, sort of like a Blue's Clue's program, she was amazingly fun and I guess maybe just a little bit famous. Any way, I'll never forget going to their house to share a missionary message and to see her emerge from the back room with bright reddened and soapy arms, sweating and haggard from laboring with the laundry. I wanted to win her heart by having a couple of Maytags imported from the States immediately. Can you imagine what a knight in shining armor I would have been?
Alas, I decided to focus on my missionary work and and forget about sister Torraca and I could make her life so much better with material things. Your blog post conjured up all of those neat memories, thanks.
Oh how grateful I am and how I love the comforts of life that me and my family enjoy. We should never complain about anything, ever...
Hey, next you'll have to have the kids make some home made "vino", OK grape juice. The stomping "I love Lucy" thing...
Greg, your comment is at the top of my top 10 favorite comments. Between your star spangled banner drawers to your knight in shining armor maytag delivery to Sister Torraca dream I was chuckling through the whole thing.
I love it!! I love it!! I love it!!! Haha. What a wonderful adventure plus pictures! I love how the kids got into it! That price is ridiculous! Whoa! It was lots cheaper in Africa but I still opted to wash by hand - trying to be the frugal student I am... ;^) It is hard on the hands and I know how awful it can be and how long it takes them to dry hanging inside. But I didn't have 5 people's clothes so I am just cheering you on! That is impressive! Yay for foreign countries and learning to love our washing machine's and dryers even more! =^)
My washing machine just gave out on me, so I feel the pain of builing laundry. However, I now realize I have nothing to complain about! At least I still had a working dryer! (Sounds like it wasn't such a boring way for the boys to spend an afternoon!)
Don't they have laundrymats?
They do have laundrymats, but you don't do it yourself. You pay by the kilo and they help themselves to the clothes that they like. Garments were not an option there. Personal things are personal.
Our dryer broke around last Christmas. Greg wanted to spend the few hundred dollars to repair it right away. Not me, I hadn't budgeted for a broken dryer and had other plans for the money. I said it would be no big deal to just hang my clothes to dry, after all the important part was getting them clean and that wasn't broken. I lasted 2 days I think. We really do take for granted how much we depend on those appliances.
Your pictures are great....I'm sure it will be a lasting memory.
Hah, see there, People underestimate the power of a pair of appliances to a knight in not so shiny armor in winning the heart of a fair maiden...
Post a Comment