Monday, August 24, 2009

Only In Mexico Monday --- Mexican Jumping Beans



The very first Only in Mexico Monday is especially for the kiddos. Mexican jumping beans are more than fun, they are delicious! Crack one open and the little larva inside tastes just like popcorn! This is what I told the boys, Jamison took me up on it as you will see later on. There is actually a beetle larva that tastes like popcorn but it’s not found in the Mexican jumping bean.

What is a Mexican jumping bean? The bean is actually one section of a seed capsule from the Sebastiana pavoniana shrub:


(I had a horrible time finding a picture of the shrub online since I couldn't go out and take one myself. I am borrowing this one even if it's only a picture of the leaves.)

Sebastiana pavoniana is found in the Mexican states of Sonora, Sinaloa, and Chihuahua so the Mexican jumping bean is unique to Mexico! In the spring, the adult moth lays her eggs inside the seed (some argue she lays them outside and they burrow inside, those entomologists are always arguing about something) and when the egg hatches the larva begins to eat itself a little room inside the seed.

Since Jamison decided to bite one of the seeds in half (he just wanted to see what they tasted like, not like popcorn I assure you) I took advantage of the carnage for an educational moment.



The larva is from the moth called Laspeyresia saltitans. The larva attaches itself to the inside of the seed with silken webs almost like a little larva hammock! As the larva wiggles and moves it pulls on the web moving the seed with it creating the fun jumping effect.

After a period of time depending on the moisture and environment, the larva changes into a moth and leaves its seed home. The pupa case can be seen in this picture protruding from the seed capsule. (Apologies about the photo quality.)



In the rainy season you can find vendors selling what they call “brincadores” or hoppers; one of the fun things you can buy for less than a penny here in Mexico!

8 comments:

Janet said...

Oh Garity...you are the best! Makes me wish I was one of your kids:-) They are lucky to have a mom with so much adventure and fun tucked inside her! I really enjoyed this post! Maybe when I'm *really* old and gray...and the kids are all grown up, you can then entertain your mom & me!! Glad you are feeling better. Love, Mom

Linnea said...

I love this post! Fun biology lesson for the kids and I didn't know this stuff!! I thought Mexican Jumping Beans were something some cartoon creator made up!!!

Holly said...

Very interesting, but I think I prefer thinking these beans are just magically charmed, pupa and larvae and the eating of it somehow makes it too "real". :-)

Anonymous said...

updated my blog finally. the pictures are darling! they had way too much fun together!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!
Hows your gut! Update please!
Feeling better?

monika said...

I love Only In Mexico Monday!! You are the best, Garity. We loved reading about the Mexican jumping bean, and a debate quickly arose about whether or not we had a Mexican jumping bean in our backyard. We agreed to disagree in the end, something I do quite frequently around here. (the day we moved in, 6 years ago, the boys put a "hollow stick" in the ground in the front yard. To this day they are convinced that one of our five tall trees was their hollow stick that grew up. FUNNY stuff!)

Anonymous said...

Oh and we bought those in Cincinnati at United Dairy Farmers. They had them for sale in little cases for some reason at the register. Mom bought them for me along with a chocolate milk shake. Dang I was fat that year now I know why. Not the mexican jumping beans but because of those yummy milk shakes.

FOX said...

Garity I love you!!! And I hope you haven't copyrighted the little video clip you made, because I think many a student at BYU might see a stolen quicktime video! uu-huuum?

I can't wait for my kids to get home!!!! You rock!!!! But can you be more specific... if it doesn't taste like popcorn, I am sure you got an ear full of what it DID taste like.... so share...heheh!!! Please!!!!


I sooo loved this post more than any!!!

OH and I am back!!! I even blogged!!! I don't think I have full mojo back yet, and my post doesn't even compare to this!!!!!