Monday, October 19, 2009

Only in Mexico Monday--Teotihuacán



After being here for over a year we finally made it to the pyramids at Teotihuacán. It's not that they are far from Mexico City, about a 30 minute drive, the problem has been timing and just trying to have everyone healthy enough to go when we have it on the calendar.

The day was slightly cool, very comfortable and overcast, just how we like it.

Teotihuacán, "The City of the Gods", is one of the largest archaeological sites in Mexico best known for its pyramids. The site is still an active archaeological dig. The construction of the Pyramid of the Sun began in 100 BC by some estimations, the city's history is still shrouded in mystery. No one can agree on who built it or why it was suddenly destroyed around 700 AD. When the Aztecs found the ruins, they believed from the size alone it could only have been built by gods. Because of this belief, the Aztecs used the site for religious rituals.

To say Teotihuacán is impressive is an understatement. Some of my favorite college courses were those covering Mesoamerican and Pre-Columbian periods so to actually stand in the middle of this archaeological site was extremely overwhelming for me. I told Kris and the boys to run ahead just so I could sit with Bronwyn on one of the stone steps along the Avenue of the Dead. I sat for some time looking towards the Pyramid of the Moon and just soaked it all in.



I am not an apologist for the savagery that took place at this site and graphic details from my professors have always stuck with me not to mention disturbing finds uncovered recently. In spite of this, to actually be here rekindled my fascination, it's one of those subjects that just won't ever bore me. I had one of those near surreal realizations; "Wow, I am in Mexico, in one of the largest Classic Mesoamerican ruins I used to dream about visiting". Like I said, it was pretty overwhelming and words just can't capture the moment.

The whole experience was perfect in spite of the overly aggressive vendors who follow you around. Kris would no sooner get rid of one when another would start following us. As you know, it's not like Kris or I are pushovers, but we even had a difficult time with these guys.

Kris and the older boys climbed to the top of each pyramid while I stayed back with the younger ones. I climbed up to the 2nd tier of the Sun Pyramid but couldn't go any higher. For those of you who know about my next fun filled "surgery" you'll understand why I was less than comfortable doing all that climbing. What I did see was amazing which made me all the more frustrated that I wasn't able to get to the top.






Climbing the Moon Pyramid:





Some of the ruins along the Avenue of the Dead (a misnomer by early archaeologists, the difference between these pyramids and Egyptian pyramids is the Egyptian pyramids were used for burials while Mesoamerican pyramids were used for worship so the avenue would not have led one to death):



The remains of the Jaguar Fresco:





Bronwyn channeling the Gods of Teotihuacán: (she does this right before she falls asleep and it just entertains us all. She can go on for quite some time and can get pretty loud especially when she sounds like she's yelling at someone.)




The Pyramid of the Sun is the 3rd largest pyramid in the world. It is also a possible misnomer, further research shows evidence it could be a pyramid to the Rain god Tlaloc who was the patron god of the city. References to rain and water are all over the frescos that survived throughout the city. Burials found at the pyramid's corners also suggest sacrifices to the rain god.



The view from the 2nd tier of the Sun Pyramid. I can't even imagine what I missed up on top, I'd rather not think about it.



The boys on the 3rd tier (there are 5 tiers)







It was a fantastic little getaway and the boys were really entertained by the whole experience. When they got down from the Sun Pyramid, the conversation went like this:

Braedon: "Mom, did you know the Aztecs would chop the heads off of their prisoners and roll them down the stairs?".
Me: "Who the heck told you that?"
Weston and Braedon pointing fingers at Kris
Kris: "What!? It's true!"
I shot daggers out of my eyes and replied: "you get nightmare duty for a month if this becomes an issue"


At least he didn't tell them what was found buried at the corners of the pyramid...

I'd love to go back (minus the kids) and explore quite a bit more.

11 comments:

Jen Jarrett said...

I love your kids so much! They are so funny! (And cute!) I am glad that you guys were finally able to make it. It looks and sounds like it was an awesome triP!!!

ganelle said...

JEALOUS!

Mexican ruins are on my bucket list.

noelle said...

weston and braedon are the best. hilarious. and i know jamison drives you crazy with his antics, but when he flashes such a winning smile... how can you stay angry? as for bronwyn, she is the perfect little female to round out the testosterone-filled bunch. love, love.

Linnea said...

Too cool...

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Well Bronwyn is my kids new favorite star. I hear the video playing several times a day accompanied by giggles. Too funny. History is so cool Wish there was more of it left to wander and wonder about. Hope you are well.

Crawford Family said...

That looks so cool! So when do you guys find out where you are goin? When do you leave? I hope your surgery goes well.

Holly said...

Um, if the kids aren't reading over you shoulder...what's burried in the corners of the pyramid?

Garity said...

Holly, they believed that the tears of children brought rain so after being sacrificed they were buried in mass graves at the corners of the pyramid. Beyond disturbing.

Happy The Man said...

Apocalypto! Well, it's rated R but one of my favorite movies because it makes me think of what some Book of Mormon times were probably really like...

I would love to go there with my kids. I can't say that about many places I'd like to go, but a place like this where they could run and climb and experience, pretty cool. Of course carrying a baby/toddler would definitely hinder the experience.

But wow, what a great experience!

Unknown said...

Very cool experience---I was supposed to got there before I left Ricks---unfortunately I didn't know a soul going and bailed. Maybe someday---LOVE Brownwyn's way of falling asleep -how sweet is that.

monika said...

I think it is really cool that your kids will have the memory of seeing this awesome site as a family. My list of "must see's" just got longer!