Solid "Security" Doors...Not Secure Against Fat Pregnant Mothers!
After All These Years...Gert Still Has It!
What You Can Accomplish When Your Kids are Cheering You On!
All That and Not Even a Wicked Bruise to Show for it?
Two months ago, Kris turned in a list of concerns to the GSO (housing office among other duties). In this list he clearly stated his concern about our front door.
1. The lock sticks, no matter how much WD-40 we've sprayed into it
2. The keys we have been given for it are just waiting to be broken off in it.
3. It is too easy to lock yourself out because the only way to open the door is with a key, it is always locked and the knob does not turn.
4. When the kids go outside to play we have to keep the door ajar so they can come in and out but not open enough to let the cats out.
GSO blew us off...completely.
On Wednesday, Weston, Braedon and I were outside washing down the parking area and walkway (helps keep some of the dust from being tracked into the house, sort of). Jamison was outside with us but then went back inside and of course, slammed the door closed. I wasn't worried because, out of habit I always have the key any time I go out the front door. So I go to open the front door and the key breaks right off without much effort whatsoever (we've been pretty careful anytime using our keys because we knew it was just a matter of time before one sheared off).
After all the crap we've been going through with this damn house I just about lost it. I was still calm though since I knew there had to be a way into the house. The boys and I walked around the entire house looking for a way in. We had windows open but there are bars on all of them so that wasn't an option. I wished I could get to a neighbor's house but of course the GSO was also ignoring us on the fact that we couldn't open our garage door because our openers didn't work so the only way to open it was a button inside the front door. I also didn't have the key to get out the front gate because I wasn't planning on having to leave our property. My only option to get inside was through the front door. I was surprised I didn't care about damage (especially because the front door is so pretty) but I really hate this house and hate the owner of the home even more (he reminds me of a smarmy, slimy slum lord...and looks like one too).
I kicked it a few times but I was wearing crocs so that's like kicking with sponges on your feet. I told the boys I'd shoulder butt it 10 times and then we'd figure something else out. By the 5th shoulder butt Braedon was kind of freaking out and begged me to stop and see if he could fit through the bars on the windows somewhere. Jamison was laughing hysterically every time I hit the door, Weston was cheering me on. I stopped, thinking I needed a battering ram and we looked around the property for something. I found a square post to use but all it did was dent the wood and give me a huge sliver. Three times with that and I gave up because it did absolutely nothing. Back to the shoulder butts...5 more, with all the kids cheering me on, and the door was open.
We got in and I called Kris immediately. First thing out of my mouth between lots of laughter on my part was "Um, put in another work order for a new front door". I couldn't believe what I had just done but I felt fantastic, strangely de-stressed and really sore. After all that, I didn't even have a bruise big enough to show off...what a jip! My entire arm is sore, my shoulder as well and my ribs are still pretty tender, muscles that obviously haven't been used in ages. I'm just happy my boys thought it was so cool...that does wonders for my ego.
Since we have the paper trail to show our concerns about the front door and the fact that GSO completely ignored us, we will not be responsible for any cost...not that we'd pay for it anyway.
10 comments:
Garity, you are my idol and I BOW to you!!!!!!
LOL---Do NOT tell a pregnant woman she can't do something. Those extra hormones HAD to give you extra adrenaline to accomplish such a task. A sliver and I would have said screw this!
Way to take care of a problem!
They are going to give you a new door with new locks, aren't they? I hope they don't try to patch it up or use the old locks on a new door! What a bunch of freakin' cheapskates!
I always knew you were one tough cookie....don't mess with Garity!!
Jenn, they are going to patch up the door and put metal plates on either side where it broke to re-enforce it. All we have requested is that we get a knob that turns so the kids can come in and out without a key and this doesn't happen again if the door closes behind us on accident (or at the hands of a nearly 2 year old).
The 3 guys who came over to look at the door kept asking Kris how he hit it to get it to open like it did and Kris told them that I was the one who forced it opened. They thought he was joking which made me mad because they looked at me as he told them that and all started laughing (except for Kris, who knows better). Mexicans aren't known for their tact.
Be sure to tell them that they're lucky the door is still on hinges!
I can muster up quite a temper when my hand is forced as yours was here. I can't be responsible for my actions under those circumstances.
OK, my bark is louder than my bite probably, but apparently yours isn't, LOL.
Um wow that is a wow!!!
You ROCK!!!
But, um, did you try a credit card first? I can get through most non-pad locked doors with a credit card. -This come particularly in handy with the church library :)
Ganelle,
Shame on you breaking and entering into the Church Library! Ha Ha! No one ever has a key to those things anyway so might as well.
That would have been nice to have a credit card to try but it wouldn't have done any good on this lock. There is a major lip blocking the entry so you couldn't just slide it in without really having to bend the card.
Who needs the gym? Your lovely home will provide you with many new and exciting ways to hurt yourself. I know that if that were me, I wouldn't even have left a dent in the door.
There is now a new image in my mind whenever I hear, "I am woman, hear me roar." Now I see you getting to Jamison through that @#!! door. Way to go, Garity!
Post a Comment