Jamison is really having a hard time giving up his Ungy (Line for pacifier, pronounced "hungry" minus the "h" and "r") He keeps trying to OD on them or something.
#2 Kris and I have pulled Weston and Braedon out of ASF (American School Foundation AKA Anxiety Stress and Frustration). We have had quite enough of the bullying and curriculum that is making them further and further behind compared to their school back in the States. I have been using their old school (Grafton Village Elementary curriculum outline) as a guide to make sure they are staying on track and already Weston is behind in math, science and history, not just a little bit either. Braedon is just plain behind in everything.
Just messing around with my new Christmas camera.
At ASF they have 2 hours of Spanish everyday (out of 4.5 hours of core subject instruction time) which means core classes suffer. If they were to stay at ASF for several years they would catch up since different grade levels focus on different subjects but since we will only be here for one more grade level they are really going to be behind. As for the bullying, things were getting better after the 8 boys who were really ganging up on Weston were threatened with expulsion but it started picking up again right before Christmas break, this time with several girls involved as well. I am not in the mood to go through it all again because I'm sick of dealing with these wealthy Mexican brats who get away with everything because their parents are "very powerful" or on the school board. (Reasons Weston's 1st teacher gave me on why the boys would not be punished when he was transfered to another class rather than deal with the boys causing the problems...seriously)
Yes, we have Krispy Kreme in Mexico City...LAAAAAAA! We couldn't believe it when we saw it, Kris almost ran off the road.
I will be homeschooling them for the remainder of the time we are here. I really had a hard time with this because I really enjoy having my days free to spend with Jamison and pursue my own interests. As selfish as that sounds, I knew it was selfish as I watched both of my boys being miserable. Braedon really enjoys the social aspect of school but the assignments he was being sent home with made no sense (spelling words where no instruction was given on the spelling rules or lack of introduction to word families which created quite a bit of frustration with him and complex projects that took way too much time to complete not to mention way too many pictures he was supposed to bring home to COLOR...seriously, and he's in 1st grade).
Jamison always finds a way to get dirty.
The kicker is, when I told both of their teachers that I was pulling them out they both completely supported me. Weston's teacher subtly told me that the IB program (International Baccalaureate Program the school uses) really makes transition difficult for students returning to the States.
The Embassy doesn't recommend ASF to the employees, rather Greengates, a British School, is the one recommended. Unfortunately, the waiting list for Greengates is too long, not to mention that the school is too far away. ASF is definitely better than the first school we had chosen which was Westhill but in light of the fact we will not be here for a long period of time, homeschooling is the best option to make sure they keep up with their classmates back home...or shoot ahead of them, that's fine with me too.

I warned Weston not to tease the cat...she bites...
...but she is also a great cuddler.
After doing quite a bit of studying myself on homeschool and how it does and doesn't work, I am really looking forward to homeschooling. Of course I feel up to the challenge and know I'm more than capable to do this but with a new baby and a 2 year old...it's going to be interesting. I'm planning on quite a bit of creativity to pull it off. I'm looking at a more structured math program but the remaining subjects will be more laid back and "fun". The Embassy pays for Spanish classes (a tutor to come to the house), music classes (piano lessons), and PE class (tennis lessons, Tae Kwon Do or whatever else the boys want to sign up for at the rec club down the street), they will also pay for curriculum books and other class equipment but no school supplies like paper, pencils etc... What will also be nice is the Embassy Regional Medical Officer also has children who homeschool and he just so happens to be our Bishop. His wife and I are already planning on getting together often with the kids (same age as mine) and recruit others to do field trips and playdates with us.
What do you make with a huge piece of paper? Why a fortune teller of course!
Sad thing is, we have been told there are more homeschooled students right now from the Embassy than there are enrolled in the schools. Nice to know we aren't alone. Thankfully this will only be for a year and a half and both boys will look forward to going back to public school...I hope...I better not make it too fun!
11 comments:
Wow! That's too bad that things didn't work out at the school. I have started thinking about homeschooling as well. I would be interested in what curriculum you will be using. Good luck!!!
You will be a fun teacher. It will be crazy though, good luck. Jamison is the cutest boy I have ever seen, just don't tell my boys that.
wow, this is huge. i know you'll do great, though. i think you definitely made the right decision!
Good luck with homeschooling! It sounds ike you made the right decision.
Krispy Kremes in Mexico! That's wild! At least you can experience the joyful tastes of home.
You go girl! It will be nuts, but you will do great I am sure! We love Krispy Kremes too, glad you found some!
Wow that is a lot to take in!!! But even though I am overwhelmed thinking of what you have to do and with a baby... at the same time it sounds so fun!!!!
I want to help!! Give me and assignment and I will get anything you need!!!!
Well at least I know that your boys will always be getting enough science!!!!
Oh and you have to explain why your pacifiers are called ungies!!!!!!
Wow, that is an undertaking! But, for a woman who kicks (shoulders) down doors at a whim, it will be a piece of cake for you! Well, maybe not cake, we are talking about babies, 2 yr-olds and active boys...
What a blessing to have a bishop with the same age kids as you. I used to love when we'd find a family that matched our kids, everyone had someone to play with.
But then we kept getting bigger, spreading across bigger age spans and it became harder and harder to find people that had teens and young'ns...
Families that have older kids tend to lose patience in the baby/toddler thing because they're just not in that phase any more. Newer families that are having children can't relate to the teen thing and let's face it, we're the old has-been uncool warn-out looking types that people want to avoid not to mention we're just all over the place trying to keep our heads above water, LOL.
So enjoy having the kids with you and having young families to mesh with. Take advantage of those age hook-ups, do your field trips and take pictures because these are the good years!
Oh, and sorry for not realizing that the Baker Family blog isn't getting much visibility or advertisement. At one time Cathleen was maintaining her own blog as were all of our kids. I wanted my own place to just put my personal thoughts and interests and yet a separate place to share the more family oriented business. Kind of like the small plates of Greg and the large plates of Greg. OK, that's a stretch... But as you've discovered, there's more Baker stuff out there than you'll ever care to shake a stick at.
My sister-in-law is consolidating her two blogs into one as of 1/1/09. I just can't bring myself to do that. It might be easier on visitors/readers but I need a place for normalcy/sanity and I need the other place for my whackiness to come out. Like gas, (as they say on Nicholodean) it's unhealthy to keep it all pent up (LOL).
Greg you crack me up. I know exactly which comercial on Nick you are talking about regarding gas. Kris and the boys scream with laughter when it came on.
Thankfully there are a few families with kids around our kids' ages which is nice. I know what you mean though, trying to match up with others can be a pain and then you find that family with the perfect ages of kids...and you detest the parents. LOL
I like the idea of having 2 blogs with you guys. You definately need your own space. I also have a second personal blog but I haven't done anything with it really.
Christina, Ungy for pacifier started with Weston. When he was a newborn and had his newborn cry it sounded like he was saying "ungy, ungy, ungy, ungy" over and over whenever he cried. He'd stop with the pacifier so we joked he was asking for his "ungy" and it stuck.
I really need to make sure I balance out the science and history for the kids otherwise that's all they'd learn from me. That is why we are doing a structured math program otherwise they'd have ZERO math.
WOW! And Garity takes on yet another adventure. We live in the states and I have had those moments where I have wanted to Homeschool Torie---just cuz girls start being mean at like age three and it doesn't get better! Good for you! How are you feeling Prego wise?
So, how did I miss this post??
I also think you will do very well homeschooling, especially since there are so many places to go "fieldtripping" near you. I can just see you incorporating tons of subjects into that petting zoo adventure!
I read the Krispy Kreme note to Harold, and he laughed. He would also drive off the road for their "hot light"---it sings to him in Neil Diamond's voice, and to the tune of "Heart Light", or whatever that song is called---
LOL. You continue to inspire me!
We lived in Venezuela when I was a kid, and my mom still laments today that she sent us to the American school instead of to the local spanish speaking one. I must say, I do to...Spanish would REALLY come in handy since we're in New Mexico. My husband served his mission spanish speaking, but let me just tell you how useful Bulgarian is. Oh, wait...it's not. EVER! Oh...and it's green chili mecca here! :)
Post a Comment