Our house flooding from the cisterns
Seems somewhat slightly witty
The house we bade Shalom
No longer do we pity
Living large, our new home
In the penthouse rented by State
But the drama isn't over in Mexico City
I left my cholecyst in El Distrito
In a sinking valley, this place taunts me.
To be where textured air from cars
Blocks our views of the stars!
The morning smog may last all day
I don't care!
My vesícula biliar lies in a landfill
Above sewage scented calles
I'll leave you one day soon, Mexico City,
With memories of my emergency laparoscopic cholecystectomy!
I know, I know, I've promised a blog about our new place as well as an "Only in Mexico" post but I've been sidetracked. This has been the first time I can really type without intense shoulder pain resulting from the surgery...turns out when the surgeon fills your abdomen full of CO2 it causes pain in your shoulders that is worse than pain from the surgery site! Weird!
You can scan the highlights or read the details:
Abdominal pain starts
-Pain starts in my abdomen upon arival back in Mexico on Saturday the 25th of July; brush it off as indigestion...plane food and other snacks during the trip
-Pain attacks continue off and on skipping a day here and there I start to think I may be lactose intolerant after punching in my symptoms on WebMd.com. I do eat a vat of ice cream now and then so it must be catching up to me.
-Find out that several guys in Kris' office have been sick with stomach parasites; these match my symptoms as well. One of Kris' agents flies back to the US because of his condition.
Pain gets worse
-Monday August 3rd, abdominal pain attack that forces me to lie on the couch while trying to breathe deeply. Only slight relief if I lie on my left side. Pain lasts through the night and is only stopped after I throw up at 3am.
-A few days pass, I'm convinced I have parasites...welcome back to Mexico!
The Major Attack
-Wednesday night following a wonderful breakfast for dinner of eggs, bacon, toast and fruit (ok, so we really didn't have any fruit but just pretend we did so it looks like a balanced meal). I started cleaning up dinner when the pains started again so remembering the parasite possibility I chugged some Activia yogurt (rumored to help wage war against the tenements) and laid down on the couch finding only slight relief on my left side.
Tossing and turning through debilitating agony I soon found myself hugging the cool marble floor unable to find a position where I didn’t think I was going to die. Pain worse than labor (and I should know after being forced to experience natural labor this last time around) and lasting several hours. I felt like I was having seizures, unable to control the constrictions of my entire body. I understand both older boys were in their bedrooms praying and scared from the bestial noises I was making while writhing on the floor. I choked out a request for Kris to go in and make sure they were ok and to calm them down. I vaguely remember Kris giving me a blessing and praying for comfort but other than that he had no idea what to do. He kept asking me if I wanted to go to the hospital and I was adamant that I didn't want to. I have a hard time with hospitals in the US much less here in Mexico. It was only parasites after all and it would pass.
I know I drug myself across the floor (the soldier crawl came in to good use after all these years) until I made it to the bathroom where I overheard Kris on the phone with the Embassy Medical officer. I finally threw up several times over and felt so much better. Kris put me on the phone with Dr Manahan, the temporary Embassy Medical officer who asked about what was going on. I told her I thought it was either parasites or some sort of weird manifestation of a panic attack. She insisted I come in for an evaluation Thursday morning.
Embassy Medical Officer believes I have gallstones. I go in for an ultrasound and am told I need surgery.
-Following her evaluation Thursday morning she was thinking it could be gallstones. What?!?! Yea, I know ridiculous...what the heck is a gall anyway? The only galls I know of are found on plants.
-Friday morning I go in for an ultrasound, I almost blew this off because I knew nothing would show up and I had to fork over almost $200 up front for the test. All medical stuff is paid for in full up front here in Mexico. It takes forever to get reimbursed and the process is a pain in the butt.
-I ask the doctor doing the ultrasound if there are any gallstones and he nods his head, I ask if it's something that requires surgery and he laughs and says "do you like pain? If no, then you need surgery". The doctor gives me the ultrasound films to take back to the embassy and tells me he will be sending his report to Dr Manahan.
-I return home and take the kids downstairs to the playground to get them out of the house and give myself a chance to figure out how the heck we are going to get things done with an apartment full of boxes and a trip back to the US for surgery.
We prepare to return to the US for surgery
-I call Kris and tell him what is going on. Dr Manahan talks to him and tells him we need to plan for immediate surgery. I call my grandparents in St George, Utah to ask if we could come for a short visit for the surgery. Dr Manahan starts the process for a medical evacuation.
Dr Manahan gets the ultrasound report and isn’t happy with it. A visit with a local surgeon leads to emergency surgery.
-Kris calls and says Dr Manahan recommends I visit with a local surgeon for an evaluation and she doesn't think I'm going to make it back to the US for surgery. We go to the hospital where Dr Cervantes is waiting for us in the emergency room. I still thought we were just going to his office for an evaluation but we were told to go straight to the emergency room instead. I was given another ultrasound and told I needed surgery right away. I should pause to mention that ABC Santa Fe hospital is supposedly one of the best private hospitals in Mexico City, Hmmmmm….Scary.
What to do about milk for Bronwyn
-While nurses were sticking me for an IV, I made a frantic call to a friend here that is also nursing and asked if she could spare any milk and pump it for Bronwyn if what emergency milk I had in the fridge wasn't enough. I know that may turn some of you inside out but I didn't want to risk Bronwyn rejecting me if we put her on formula for an extended period and I'd do it for anyone else who was in the same situation. Fortunately I had enough stored and we didn't have to depend on her but I am so grateful to have friends who would be willing to help me take care of my daughter like that.
I get stuck in the MRI machine
-After the IV is set I'm taken for an MRI because of concern there were gallstones lodged in a duct or something. I got stuck in the MRI for a total of 45 minutes because the table wouldn't release so they could pull me out. I don’t think the technicians knew I could speak Spanish because they kept telling me “just a few more images” while in Spanish they were talking to each other about how to get the lever to release so the bed could slide on the track. Duh! It's not like I couldn't tell the imaging was over, that MRI machine was ancient and rocked my eardrums when it was going. That was fun! From this time forward I will insist on an Open MRI machine.
In the operating room
-MRI results show all ducts were clear and surgery could begin.
-I was prepped for surgery and wheeled into the operating room where 2 anesthestesiologists worked their magic. I actually love being knocked out and as many surgeries as I've had I make it a game to try and fight the drugs each time remembering the precise point that I go out. Before they give me the good stuff I tell the doctor I want to take my stones home (hey, I've got vials of preserved insects why not gallstones?)
Unfortunately this time around, my last memory was of the doctors yanking up my gown and me trying to say "hey now! Could you at least wait till I'm out?" Braedon's words echoing in my head "Don't look at my shame!" (what he says when he forgets to close the bathroom door and I walk by as he gets ready for a shower.)
Recovery:
Surgery takes a little over an hour, my gallbladder was in worse shape than expected and I definately would have never made it back to the US without a perforation or infection spreading. Dr Cervantes records the whole surgery and presents it to me on DVD. I've got enough stones to make a necklace he says! Har-dee-har-har. I am wheeled into my room around 10:45 pm where Kris is waiting. He leaves soon after to get back to the kids who are being watched by dear friends, the Thorleys.
Not one single nurse washes her hands...EWWWW!
I notice a disturbing trend while in the hospital. Not one single nurse washes her hands when they come in. I start telling them to wash their hands before they touch me but it must be a completely foreign concept because they huff and roll their eyes and seem to wash their hands grudgingly each time I tell them to. They could at least don gloves or something but I have to tell each one to wash their hands before they re-do my IV or otherwise take care of my incisions. I ask if there are gloves they could wear but there aren’t any. Am I a total germaphobe now or something? If the N1H1 flu goes nuts again and it spreads like mad in the hospitals here just think to yourself "Duh, morons".
GET ME A DAGGONE PUMP!
About 2 am, I ask one of the nurses for a breast pump since I'm nursing a 2 month old baby. I tell her I realize Bronwyn won't be able to have the milk but I'm engorged and in pain. She says she'll bring me pain medication, I insist I just need a pump. She ignores my request for the pump and just brings me pain medication for my IV. It takes me several hours to try to explain to these varmints that I need a pump in a major way and I have an extreme urge to start boxing their ears. I tell them to call the maternity ward and ask for a breast pump, I know they have the electronic medela ones there because one of the interns in the emergency room reserved one for me. At 6am they finally bring me.....a bike horn.
Ok, so if it isn’t a bike horn it must be a Swedish made precursor to male enhancement pills repackaged as a breast pump. And no, of course it doesn't work.
I also get these snazzy stockings to wear to prevent blood clots. Just call me FASHIONISTA!
I finally am able to call Kris in the morning to beg him to bring me my pump. The boys come to visit me first thing in the morning and I am released at 2 pm Saturday afternoon.
Leaving the Hospital is a whole other adventure....Socialized medicine at its finest.
In order for the emergency room to even see me, Kris had to make a deposit of $4000 up front. What's nice about private hospitals in countries where socialized medicine is the plan it that emergency rooms are pretty much empty and actually used for EMERGENCIES! Bad thing is, if you can't afford a private hospital you go to the local ones and get in line. According to my surgeon, I am lucky to be a US citizen and a diplomat because my condition would not have given me access to emergency surgery if I were a middle class Mexican. I am young and would have been expected to endure the pain and infection a while longer. Problem with this is with a punctured or torn gall channel, infection could spread rapidly leaving me much less time than I had with what I was already dealing with.
When we tried to leave we had to pay our bill in full which was several times the cost of the emergency room deposit. Not only that but in order for the guards to let you leave you have to go to several offices in the hospital and get their signatures and stamps that state you do not owe any balances. Once you have this paper you are permitted to leave. I'm only giving you an overview of the bureaucracy we had to go through and that was at a private hospital!
So now I sit here in bed blogging about the 4 holes in my stomach, you'd think the doctor could have at least done some liposuction or something while he was at it, or taken my appendix while he was in there because you know it's only a matter of time with my luck.
Kris and I have only been able to keep from going mad because of support from dear friends. Meals have been a huge help no to mention friends coming over to just hang out. Thankfully I think I'm one of those who recovers quickly which is good because I can't stand being incapacitated when there is work to be done.
17 comments:
Oh Garity ....what a time you've had!!! I can come and stay and help. But I have no passport, which I'm pretty sure I'd have to have. If there is a way to get around that...I'm come (ignorant about such things:-(
The gas pains from the surgery is the worst! Been there. When we lived in LosLunas, NM - our branch pres., Ivan Waddops and his wife had a baby the same age as Heather- about Bronwyn's age. The baby became sick & had surgery at the same time Annette became sick. She lost her milk and I took breast milk to her baby for about 2 weeks. It actually was a special time...after everyone became well again.
I love you and Kris and family....let me know if there is anything I can do. Love, Mom/Grandma Line
WHAT THE H! I think the only possitive thing about this email was the sweet picture of baby bronwyn! She is perfect! Martin girls sure know how to have perfect babies. Well we're not sure with me. They'll come out looking like hairy wrinkled squishy things.
Garity! Holy cow! Just when I think I have the worst luck I read your blog :) Good thing you have your humor and toughness to get through this crap! I hope you are well on the mend! Random side question did you guys bring your giant trampoline with you? Chris laughed at me when I suggested it and i would love to be able to say Hey garity did it!
Oh fercryinoutloud- I am so, so, so sorry. I went through the same thing when Dallin was 5 weeks old, except I was convinced I was literally having a heart attack. I can remember the pain like it happened yesterday. Holy Smokes, did it hurt. Hopefully you'll feel like a new woman. your kiddos are still beautiful...and those nylons really are pretty snazzy- dig 'em :)
What the crap for crap!
If I had been there, I would've run my pump over to you in a second...MAN my "ladies" hurt FOR you. UGGH!
I had my gall bladder out last year...I understand that attack. Drove myself to the hospital, and started crying as soon as they asked me what was wrong. The PAIN!!
Morphine was my best friend.
Stay down for 10 days, it really does take that long to recover. Enjoy the drugs!
Ok, how come all these people I know have had this surgery and I didn't even know what the heck a gallbladder was until last week? I am so glad it's more common than I thought and I am also glad to know that others get what I'm talking about when I mention the pain.
Bummer, you mean I could have gotten morphine for it? I should have asked! I didn't take anything for the pain until after the surgery and by that time the post-op pain was such a decrease compared to the pain before surgery I got away with taking very little pain meds. I am taking vicodin before bed just so I can lay down without the pain of the bed pushing against my stomach. I'd be asleep now except that Bronwyn decided to wake up and play.
Darn! I can't believe I missed out on the morphine...yea, I know, I like that stuff way too much.
Mom Line- Thanks for your offer! We'd love for you and Bill to come down any time so get that passport! Kris has been a huge help during all of this and I have you to thank for raising such a great husband for me! Our ward has really gone aboe and beyond for me and Weston and Braedon have been the best sons I could ever ask for. I think with them, the attack scared them so bad they are willing to do whatever I ask them to do!
Kelly- Nah, that's not our trampoline but you might not be able to bring yours unless it falls within your weight allowance and you know for a fact you will have a place to put it. If your first post puts you in an apartment (pretty much the norm) you will have wasted all that weight. This tramp is part of the apartment's playground area. Do you guys know where you are going? I need to catch up on everyone's blogs so you may have already mentioned it!
OH my Garity!!! I didn't know we were twiners!!! I am soooooo sorrry!!!!! You are such a strong person though... I wish I could be like you in this regard!
Love the stalkings!!! and yes you need some moon boots too!!!
How are your spirits today? Are you happy? OH and I owned a horn pump at one point. I like it when I had to pump a little for a date, but to fully pump and dump I had the electrical thing... so my heart goes out to you for making thru it to nurse that beautiful girl.
Oh and I nursed my nephew and my SIL in return nursed Evie when we were each alternately ill, sooooo I would never EWWWW you, but I DID get lots of EWWWWWWs myself!!!!
Good luck!
oh 3 more things!!!
1 Bronwyn looks gorgeous in that picture!!!
2 what is Mexican hospital food like... cuz my hospital food here is pretty ready to eat me back... in fact I am going to make that my next blog post dangit!!!
3 how is the 'machismo' factor of a dr in Mexico?
ok that is all the wonderings of my drugged out brain!!!
take care great one!!!
Ha Ha Ha Fox, great questions. Spirits are doing well. I've actually been a lot happier since moving out of that house so just about anything now is bearable and such a small nuisance compared.
-Thanks for the comments on my little girl. I would have to agree with you of course! I'm so glad to have a girl who could possibly be in the running for your Dalyn.
-Food? Is jello food? That's all I got to eat...oh and a banana because the papaya they brought me, I gagged just looking at it (not a huge fan of papaya at all). The menu looked pretty sweet, everything Mexican fare like chilaquiles, taquitos, huevos rancheros, etc, but to be honest I haven't really had much of an appetite. I've lost 15 lbs in the past 2 weeks (not that I'm complaining) but I'll probably get my appetite back sooner or later.
Machismo of the Dr? The surgeon was actually pretty fantastic and I didn't notice any sort of machismo at all but that is probably because he lived for so long in the US. He trained at Georgetown and practiced in the US for 15 years and is now one of the head surgeons of the ABC hospitals and instructors for the University (UNAM) here. I really liked him a lot.
I am so sorry you went through all of that! I am just another in the long list of friends who has also had this surgery. Noah was 4 months old, Harold was home for three days between TDY's, but I was at my mom's so I got help.
I hated not being able to eat anything with fats in it for awhile. I got so sick of stuff that was on my "safe" list. (My own personal, will-not-cause-hurling list) I am glad you had a good doc, though. You were smart enough to ask for the stones. I was too out of it to think about it. They did tell me that I had over 30, or "we quit counting them at 30" was what one nurse said. I don't think I was as smart as you in other ways, either. My condition had been ignored for so long that I had(uh oh, post-preggo brain, I can't remember the name of it!!) the stones were blocking my spleen, pancreas, gall duct, jujenum, and duodenum, and.. oh well. You know what I mean. Harold had been inspired as to what was wrong before he left the country, but everyone else felt it was just lactose intolerance, so his inspiration got ignored.
I can't imagine going through it all in MEXICO and without my mom. You are one stellar woman.
Yeah, Bronwyn is a beauty! The boys are looking very good, too.
I almost woke my kids up laughing about "don't look at my shame!" My kids say cute stuff, but nothing like him! Braedon really takes the cake!
woah! So glad you are on the mend! Man, it just never let's up for you guys. Bronwyn is so beautiful! I will update my blog very soon! Aidan without his bottom teeth is really cute! :-)
Speachless is really hard to convey in a blog comment but
Glad to hear you are recovering from that nightmare. When you move back to the states, your blogs will be a lot less exciting. That may be a good thing!
The hand washing thing just turns my stomach. That is just gross! The staph infections must run rampant. What do they spend all that money on if not necessary medical supplies?!! Maybe you should buy a few boxes of medical gloves to share in case anything else happens.
Sending healing vibes from CO.
Thanks for the compliments on Kris....I hear the same from Suzanne & Tami on Kris' brothers being good husbands! Now that I have everything I've could ever have wanted, in hearing your praise of Kris (I agree...he is a "gem")...I better remember to get on my knees even more... and thank Heavenly Father ...for being the best partner in raising them I could ever have asked for
:-) Love ya', Mom ( I'm going to look into a passport...I miss all of you) Love to all --and Bronwyn just keeps getting more beautiful day by day:-)
Are you KIDDING me??? That is SO crazy!!! My sister had kidney stones, and it wasn't pretty - so I can only imagine. So sorry!
That said, I'm with Christina, LOVE the pic. of Bronwyn.
Feel better!
They gave me morphine as soon as they palpated my stomach and suspected my gall bladder. Then they let me sleep the rest of the night before doing an ultrasound in the morning.
I was scheduled for surgery the next day.
Of course, my surgery was an awful experience...but I felt much better after! :)
Post a Comment