Tuesday, March 17, 2009

When There Aren't Any Fireflies...

You send the kids out with blacklights to hunt for scorpions right? Well, doesn't everyone do this?

The kids are only allowed to look for them but if they find one they have to yell for Kris or I to catch it.

Scorpions can't see ultraviolet light (like the wavelength you'd find in a blacklight) so they don't scatter like they would under a flashlight but the coolest thing is they glow under blacklights! Their exoskeleton contains a fluorescent protein (called beta-Carboline) located in the hyaline (thin film in the outermost layer or cuticle).

A newly molted scorpion won't fluoresce but once their exoskeleton has time to harden it will. The science behind this is pretty interesting because it involves the oxidation of proteins that link forming a network which is part of the hardening process. This same phenomenon has helped scientist understand why cataracts form in people's eyes (also a result of proteins that have oxidized or aged)...WOW!!!

Even fossils of scorpions still have this hyaline layer that continues to glow under blacklight! Can I hear another WOW?!?! (Be sure to remember me when you are asked about this on Jeopardy)





The two smallest ones (I'm guessing they are 'baby' scorpions as opposed to full grown separate species) are two we found in our drinking glasses so now we make sure to turn them upside down when we put them away.

The run down from left to right of the larger ones:
Far left was found in Kris' and my room.
Next was downstairs in the boys' bathroom
The remaining 3 (not the little ones) were found outside by the boys during their hunts. There is one with a white coating on it, I'm curious if this one was about to molt but it also looks like paint...I don't know. (The furthest on the right was the one they found tonight.)

Judging from the pincers, I don't think these are too venomous but I haven't had any of them identified to be sure. Supposedly, the smaller or thinner the pincers the more toxic their venom. I'm not about to test the theory so we treat them all as dangerous. Even the lesser venomous ones still hurt like nothing else from what I understand; a hot searing poker through the skin has been the comparison.

Unfortunately (but fortunately) our cats also love to hunt and play with the ones they are able to catch in the house but by the time they are done with them they aren't worth saving for our insect collection. Good Kitties! They haven't been stung from what I can tell since they haven't learned to stay away from them yet.

These scorpions are ones we have caught and haven't had a chance to put in vials yet because I still can't find my box of empty vials! They now sit on the windowsill in the kitchen in an empty peanut butter jar full of rubbing alcohol and we just add to the collection as we find them. (Yes FOX, I do have your name on a few of these!) We have several more, already in vials, we found in the boys' toy box and bedroom as well as another larger one the boys found outside. I didn't feel like fishing them out of the vials for pictures...sorry. It would have made for an impressive group shot! Maybe next time.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, having the house fumigated won't do anything. Our house is so full of cracks and crevices along windows that don't close properly, doors that aren't flush and a number of other buggy entryways, so it's a complete waste of time. Scorpions follow their food source and unfortunately this stupid house is completely open to them. We've done what we could to seal cracks but it's one of those things we've given up on and accept that it is a fact of life while living here.

The color they fluoresce is actually a very nice clear teal but on my computer screen it looks more blue.



17 comments:

Linnea said...

This is too cool, but I'm glad I don't get to send my kids scorpion hunting. I'll just let them read your post!

Holly said...

Um, kinda gross, glad it's not me, admire your great attitudes and using it as a learning experience! You are all amazing!

Happy The Man said...

Cool, didn't know that...

Shawnna Mc-Zupko said...

Really, Garity... you could write a book on why NOT to visit Mexico. Number one on my list? Scorpions in my drinking glass.

I think I just vomited in my mouth. Complete Heebie-Jeebies.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I guess I am more than just a band geek. I think the info is way cool just really wouldn't like to sleep with them. But I guess you can just turn off the lights and if your sheets glow call the kitty.

Sherwoods said...

Umm, I am actually really not sure what to say right now. That is pretty disgusting. I think the look on my face the whole time I was reading this blog and the look on my face as I type say it much better than I could in words. W.O.W.

Sherwoods said...

Oh, and the fact that you SAVE them? Ahhh....creepy crawlies!

Garity said...

Amanda- Don't you guys have scorpions too? I thought they were all over this place! I knew we should have gone with the whole apartment set up, I'd gladly give up scorpions IN the house for a pool. Nothing like sleeping with the lights on in the hall so you don't step on them in the middle of the night on the way to the potty.

Shawnna- It's comments like yours that make me realize I really need to live closer to you someday. You completely brighten up my day (and the whole horse thing is pretty dog-gone cool too). Speaking of, update your blog already!

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

Way to turn those lemons into lemonade. Just check your glasses before drinking any. Jake would LOVE to do that, Sam would love to watch at a safe distance. Bugs are a riot. We had a nest of preying mantis at our old house. Those creepy things were everywhere. I never thought of saving them. Too bad, I haven't seen one since we moved.

Unknown said...

Okay---I just got caught up ---WOW! Lots of crazy stuff. First of all Congrats on the baby---girl. We didn't find out with #1, but there was no harrassment about it, but then again we lived in North Carolina, not Mexico. Girls are fun--different from what I understand, but I love mine. Scorpions and crazy neighbors, the fun never ends for you. You make me grateful to live in the U.S.!

monika said...

SO cool, and yet, so very scary, too! I loved the little lesson you gave in your blog! I would never have known that if you hadn't told me. Now I will have to look it up on your blog from time to time, or else I will forget. Ah, the pleasure of a memory after bearing so many kids....

I lived in El Paso for a year as a kid, and the cockroaches used to get really big, at least an inch, and we got tired of them falling into our hair when we got plates, bowls, cups, etc... down off of high shelves. We also turned everything upside down in the cupboard, a habit I still have with the cups. All it takes is finding one in there ONE time, and you just can't stand the thought that it might happen again! I kind of think that you have it worse with the scorpions, though!
Is there anything weird that works on them like coffee grounds in a mason jar does for cockroaches?

Kelly Valle said...

I think there are frogs in Peru that glow too! Or salamanders. No, I think frogs. Can't remember. My companions and I caught more salamanders than scorpions. There weren't that many scorpions. But we caught salamanders in the door jam all the time. They would crawl up and get stuck and die. Dumb salamanders. But we collected giant roaches and I sent one home to my mom and I brought home piranhas. I was weird. We also had to sweep up the bats every Sunday in the church. I wonder if Dallan will send me something lovely from Mexico?

noelle said...

fluorescent scorpions. i'm glad i know you, garity. no one else opens up the world to me like you do. :)

Anonymous said...

We've found them 'round these parts too! After doing some research, there's only one type in this area that is even "medically significant". That made me feel better. Most problems from scorpions are the same as with bees...allergic reactions.
I have to say...the little ones are kinda cute. With their teensie claws out...but apparently they ARE the most venemous :)

Suz said...

Garity, you are finding these in your house here in Mexico??!! I thought we would have escaped scorpions by leaving Arizona. Should I stop complaining about not having a yard and be happy I'm in an apartment with a broken elevator?

FOX said...

Well it just so happens that I have been preparing for my oral exams (going before a panel of professors and they quiz me on every class I have ever had for two hours) and one of the professors is a scorpion expert!!!! I will have him double check the identities of the species I think you have... maybe if I pull out the vials you send me during my "orals" it will fill some of the two hours and I won't have a panic attack!!!

You are so awesome by the way!!!

Garity said...

Monika- Ugh, call me crazy but I'll take scorpions over roaches ANY DAY. I still have nightmares about the roaches in Brazil and Peru.


Kelly- It's because of our time in Peru that I think I'm not completely freaked out about the scorpions. We had scorpions in our house in Peru as well. At night, my sisters and I would pull our covers up off the floor so they couldn't climb them up into our beds. They were a heck of a lot smaller than the ones we've been finding here. We also had those huge sewer rats that climbed in through the toilets if you didn't keep books on the lids at night (my parents forgot one night and a smelly and wet one ran across their bed). We don't have those here in Mexico City thank goodness. I definately don't remember having salamanders there but we were in Lima in a pretty dry area. We also brought/sent home tons of piranhas and tarantulas...you aren't the only weird one! I do remember the huge roaches and bats. You had to sweep them up? Now that's a story!

Suzanne- Oh yes, gotta love the Mexican scorpions. They are definately here. (But I don't think we have the bad bark scorpions like they have in Arizona) I don't know of anyone in apartments who have them.

Ugh...broken elevator? Do elevators EVER work here? Groceries with kids must be beyond a chore!