Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Home Leave in Williamsburg, Virginia

Here's how home leave works. For each 2 year tour, Kris' office sends us back Stateside for some much needed R&R. They send us back to wherever our "home of record" happens to be, according to State Dept, so for us that is Virginia. Lucky for us, my parents are still there in Williamsburg so we were able to spend R&R with them.

We drove up to Fredericksburg to take care of some business. That included dental visits with Dr. Coble, the best dentist we've had since we got married which is why we made the 2 hour drive to see him. Braedon had his very first loose teeth, 2 of them! The nurse told me that they needed to come out because his permanent teeth were already coming through. Braedon asked her "when do they need to come out?" So she got down to his level and said "as soon as possible". He looked at her, grabbed the looser of the two teeth and pulled it right out. I'm glad I had the camera right there!



The next day he did the same with the other tooth.

We froze in Old Town Williamsburg but we had to get lunch at the Cheese Shop...because you just have to when you are there. Here's what a little boy looks like who doesn't want to listen when you tell him to grab his jacket. (Daddy was kind enough to go back to the car and get it after we let him shiver for a while and get it through his head that Mom and Dad are RIGHT!)



Jamison is on a corn dog kick and is one of the few things he'll eat without stopping for air.



Kris and I are root beer junkies...birch beer falls into that category and we drink it when we can.



After lunch...a stroll down Main Street Old Town (I think tht's what it's called).




Birthday Boy!

Jamison celebrated his 2nd birthday in Williamsburg.












Jamison's Birthday was a highlight of our trip but the most special part was being able to go to my father's retirement ceremony. It was simple but at the same time, something Kris and I will both remember. Just being able to be a part of it was a great experience. The kids spent the entire ceremony eyeing the refreshment table and I doubt they remember much else. We weren't allowed to take pictures otherwise I'd post one.

One of the last things we did was go to Ripley's Believe it or Not. I enjoy this cabinet of curiosities and so do the boys. It was Kris's first time and the boys had fun showing him all the weird stuff. Weston is intrigued by the shrunken heads...







8 comments:

Holly said...

How fun! I am so glad you got to go back home for a while. I love all your pics!

Anonymous said...

You took them there again? Creepy. YEah for the birthday boy!

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

You guys have so much fun!

Happy The Man said...

Yeah, Ripley's is great, the kids love it. And heck, what's not to like about shrunken heads (my favorite scene in the movie Beetlejuice)?

monika said...

Sounds like a boys' paradise... and I must admit, a place I would really enjoy! This is the kind of fun family is all about!

Garity said...

Greg- Ha Ha I love that movie! I just introduced it to the boys a few weeks ago and they are fans now too!

monika said...

When JoJo saw that movie, she went into a "goth" stage... she told me she only wanted to wear black, and figured that made her a goth... too funny. I think it would be fun to dance in the air if you get good grades, though!

Janet said...

Love the pictures and reading all about everyone. I'm so proud of what both of you do... to make your family so interesting. It is special. Love, Mom