(From our trip to Puebla)
Chapulín
I've heard they "actually taste quite good!" Well it's a lie. I tried several from different vendors. Tried some plain, some with lime and some with chili sauce and some with lime and chili sauce. I don't even think these would taste good covered in chocolate (Gasp! yes, I said it, not even chocolate can make these things palatable). Maybe it's the kind of grasshoppers they are. All I know is I have tried several insects before and these are FOU-EL as far as "culinary" insects go. The texture isn't bad, it's the taste. Think rotting grass/hay crossed with burnt fingernails. ALTHOUGH...if I were stranded in the middle of nowhere with Aztec or Mexica warriors hunting me down, I might consider them to be delicate little morsels of yummy sustenance.
"Would you like the 10 peso size or 20 peso size?"
I wouldn't let the kids try them while we were out on the town because I wanted to avoid a scene that was sure to happen. Back at the hotel they got their chance. Kris hid in the other room with Jamison and Bronwyn and wanted no part. Jamison wouldn't come near us either.
Hmmmm, Maybe if I add a little lime?
Nope, still nasty. Weston and Braedon are so brave! I still can't believe they tried them...they are my boys 100%!
6 comments:
Mmmmmm, no thanks! :-). Glad you'll be closer very soon! Or are you? Hmmm, need to figure the mileage on that. Another good reason to plan a visit to UT soon!
oh...my....gosh....GROSSSSSS! Those boys are tough. Chris tried terantulas in cambodia. I have never- to my knowledge- eaten a bug. Wow, what a way to say goodbye
I couldn't do it...
Oh my goodness....now you need to ask Kris about his dad teaching him to bite the heads off of grasshoppes when we lived in Kennewick, WA. As I remember, several little girls went screaming to their moms...and I heard about it-ha. I think Charlie taught them to keep their teeth closed and get the head between the lips and teeth...and pull the head off. Oh heck...have Kris tell the boys the story:-) I couldn't get upset because I thougt it was funny too. Of course, Kris combined doing that with using a magnifying glass to burn the ants on the sidewalks...he was good'-)))
Kelly- Ugh, terantulas? I couldn't even.
Mom- I will ask Kris for sure about his grasshopper story! Weston is a pro when it comes to burning ants and other bugs with his collection of magnifying glasses! Must be in the genes. LOL
Sam said maybe he would try, Jake said no way.
Post a Comment