Several security issues should have been taken care of before we even moved in and they had more than enough time to get that done. Also we found out today that the electrician who was supposed to be getting the electrical system up to US code walked off the job and the GSO never replaced him so the work went undone which is why several of the outlets and fixtures are not grounded (did you know that if you get shocked when you are pregnant it makes you wet your pants? Yea, pretty freaking hilarious!).
We are focusing on getting the more serious security issues taken care of since we had an attempted break in today. Weston was home from school sick and in the living room playing with Jamison. I went downstairs to take clothes into the boys' room when out of the corner of my eye I saw something out the window. It was a guy crouching under the stairs that go down to the lower yard right outside of the downstairs window. Now, there is no way someone could get into our property unless we open the gate for them. We have walls that are topped with electrical fence. I ran upstairs, looked out the window that was above him only to see that he was searching for a way in and so I ran to the phone to call Kris to ask "Where the heck is the gun?". Kris told me he wasn't allowed to leave the gun at the house and it was with him. EXCUEEZE ME? I started having a minor panic attack but was able to get control when I remembered that all of the doors and windows were locked (out of habit of course) so I told the boys to come into the living room with me until the cops, Kris and the RSO (Regional Security Office from the embassy) got there. I hate being a sitting duck. Weston had grabbed a baseball bat and I must admit I thought he was pretty cute pacing around smacking it in his hand and carrying it over his shoulder.
I wanted to keep an eye on the stairs outside so I knew if he was still in the backyard or had run up to the front yard. We sat and watched until the embassy cops got there. When I let them into the property they were carrying sub-machine guns which was pretty nice to see. I motioned to the backyard and they went to work. They thought he might have jumped the back fence so several got into their cars to see if they could find him. They did bring a guy back who matched the description I gave except that the guy they had in the back of the car had pretty scruffy facial hair and I knew without a doubt that the guy I saw was baby faced clean shaven and pretty young looking.
Kris got home with some guys from the RSO right behind him. They were pretty upset that our electrical fence had been shut off by the GSO (housing office) as a solution to the problems we were having with it rather than fixing it the right way. The RSO was also ticked that the alarm system that was supposed to be installed before we moved in wasn't and that our phone problem wasn't fixed which kept me from being able to call Kris' cell phone (I had to call one of his co-workers to get him).
As for the other problems, those have taken a back row seat for now but suffice it to say, more things don't work than do. The issue about flooding with sewage isn't something we have to worry about until the next rainy season and we have been assured (by the GSO) that when there are serious rainstorms to make sure Kris or I keep an eye on the drains and keep them clear and that should solve the flooding with sewage problem. HA HA HA HA HA HA! So no going out of town during the rainy season for us!
So with that being said, here are the pictures. It's actually a very large and pretty, but dated, home with lots of room for us and guests! (We promise to have most of these issues taken care of before our first guests arrive!) Since most of you know Kris and I, you know we will probably end up fixing a majority of the issues ourselves (like the dishwasher that spews the dirty soapy water all over the patio because the hose was connected using masking tape...stupid GSO, it's DUCT TAPE you are supposed to use not MASKING TAPE!...but we'll actually fix it the right way.)
And after we fix everything we can, we'll end up making it a very comfortable home.
The Front of the Home:
Front Door, Entry into hall and to the right you have a guest bathroom, to the left is the Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom
Master Bath, brown door in the middle picture is the sauna (doesn't work so we use it to store paper towels, TP, diapers, wipes, the year supply
of paper stuff we bought for Venezuela fits quite nicely in here),
Jacuzzi tub (sort of works but not enough hot water to fill it
so we boil a HUGE pot of water on the stove in order to cover
the jets with enough water so they work)
Another reason why we don't use the tub, don't even ask, I have no idea. No other shower/faucet in the house does this but it's something else we will be fixing right away. We have run the jets and tried to flush the system but this is still the result. Jamison was upset I wouldn't let him get in so he decided that his toys would go for a swim instead.
Family room goes into the dinning room (I love the built in china cabinet since I don't have one)
Living room and living room looking into the dining room. The shot with the painted glass is what we are using as the office but it's an informal eating area actually.
Ummmm, I'm going to figure out a way to update this. Cover the flower tiles with some Mexican Talavera tiles and have coordinating shelf covers (since the ones they have on the shelves now are beyond gross and make the cabinets smell funny), new curtains, etc...
There is TONS of storage in the kitchen. The laundry room is pretty big
The maid's quarters if we were to have a live-in maid but we aren't so this is my crap room complete with its own bathroom that doesn't work.
Downstairs coming from the front hallway and to the left is the toy room/game room/slumber party room
Complete with another fireplace and security bars that Jamison likes to climb. Back towards the stairs you see our guest room on the left and boys room straight ahead.
Guest room (well it will also be Jamison's room if he's ever brave enough to sleep in it while we are here) complete with large private bathroom and walk-in closet.
Weston and Braedon's room also with very large private bath (3x bigger than ours in VA!) and large walk-in closet as well.
Walkway from the front that wraps around the house to a staircase that leads to the backyard.
And our view from the backyard, on clear days you can see the mountains really well but that won't happen again until the rainy season I am told.
10 comments:
Holy Cow! That intruder story freaked me out, I am paranoid about intruders and I would not of been as calm as you Garity! I am gald things worked out though. Your house looks huge. So you are only there 17 months then back to the states? I hope so. So, when are you due and when do you find out if it is a girl or boy? I hope you are feeling better.
I was actually not calm at all and I was pretty ticked off that I didn't have a gun. When the RSO came I told him as much and in a condescending tone he said "Well the best thing you can do in these situations is lock yourself in your bedroom with the kids" I told him "You obviously don't know who you are talking to". We aren't allowed to have guns while we are stationed here in Mexico which really bites because home invasions are pretty common. I may have to make my own somehow out of kitchen implements that can then be disassembled and blend back into the rest of the spoons and small appliances ha ha.
As for the baby, this one is going to be a surprise. I am due in May.
We hope we will be in Boise in 17 months!!!! Keep your fingers crossed!
That home does look really big and pretty nice for what I remember of Mexico (OK, Baja CA, I've never been to Mexico City). I know they have a pretty bad smog problem in Mexico City, that's about all I know so seeing the pictures out the back was cool. Seems like you have some nice privacy behind you too, far enough from everyone else back there. Of course the intruder doesn't make privacy all that much fun does it?
So I'm thinking, keep plenty of mace around and maybe even tazers. I'd suggest a mean and ferocious "Rotty" but I'd be a little fearful for my own life and that of my kids.
So was that sand in the tub? What is the typical weather for the winter season (temps)? When is the rainy season? Summer? Fall? I'm just trying to picture whether the fireplace will get used and with all the tile, will it be cold in the winter?
I love those high ceilings though, makes the place seem huge. Is there a garage?
Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get the vicarious experience, you know? Can't imagine I'll be leaving the country any time soon (if ever again) and I highly doubt I'll ever have a ranch in ID (I'm going to go to my grave right here in VA) so I have to experience these adventurous journeys through others.
Thank you for the pictures of your house. They brought back so many memories of South America to my mind. I hope that you can get everything fixed soon so that you can feel safe!!
Greg, no it's not sand, it's SLIME. Like I said, I have no idea. It's the only place in the house that gets it, whatever it is.
Winter temps can get down to 40 degrees in the morning. It's pretty cool year round but the dry season is when it is warmer with highs in the "whopping" low 80s. NICE! It mostly stays in the high 70s though during the warmer months which are April and May. It's pretty cool here in the mornings and evenings right now but it will get cooler in Nov-Feb when the highs are only in the high 60s, but you will have days in the very low 70s. We have had to use portable heaters already since the house has no heat or A/C but you really don't need it.
As for the rainy season, I guess that starts full swing in June until September.
No garage, just a patio type spot inside the gate.
Yes, the house is pretty big which is nice but at the same time, I'd be happy with a much smaller house where everything works.
Hey, don't even apologize for the questions! As for the mace and tazers...hmmmm, may have to consider that one. The mace for sure.
what?!?!?!? garity. the whole intruder bit. not cool. not cool at all.
WOW! I am always more and more impressed at what a woman you are! I'd be peeing my pants about the intruder...but then again I am not being electrically shocked while pregnant! Thanks for the laugh!
This kind of made me pee MY pants: "(did you know that if you get shocked when you are pregnant it makes you wet your pants? Yea, pretty freaking hilarious."
You live a cool life, Garity! and keeping your head when you see a stranger in your back yard?? Yeah, I so would have been screaming with jazz hands!
HAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA! JAZZ HANDS! Do you have any idea how long it has been since I've heard that? What a perfect picture you have painted but I don't believe it for a second. From what I remember of you, you could hold your own. I was afraid to tick you off for fear of being humiliated when I least expected it...usually in front of a guy.
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am so excited for you and Kris. You are such great parents, I know this one will be another lucky little guy or gal to come to your family.
I also hope you go to Boise in 17 months, as then you would be somewhere in the general vicinity of my family. IF I ever get back there, there is a CHANCE that I might get to see you.
I can see the gun you would make out of kitchen implements....it could double as a bayonet (sp?) if you shot the bugger full of holes and still felt the need to release anger over the whole thing. I would. I would have nightmares if someone tried to break into our house. I still have nightmares over the storage unit being cleaned out....14 years ago! I have to hand it to you, you are cool under fire, and keep your head when others would be loosing theirs...(to kind of slip into paraphrasing someone much more able to express themselves than me.) I miss you & your sense of humor!
Post a Comment