First of all, what the heck am I doing awake at 6:30am? From personal habit and experience, writing is very calming to me and helps sort things out so I don't end up in an anxiety attack...this would be one of those moments and already, it's working.
I have to give kudos to my dad...foreshadowing much or are you just psychic?
We have these neighbors, they have 2 scotties that bark at all hours of the night and start barking solid at around 6:30 am. The dogs are on the same side of the house as our bedroom, in fact, no more than 2o feet from our master bedroom large glass window is where they "perch" and bark non stop. Usually, Jamison wakes up whenever they bark and this morning was no exception but the dogs were unusually agitated and started full bore at 5:30am. After 15 minutes of solid barking I put on my shoes and went next door.
When our neighbor answered his intercom I said in Spanish "Hi, I'm from next door, It's really early in the morning could you please put your dogs inside?"
The dogs continued to bark so I went back to his front gate and buzzed again.
This time he came out and I walked up to him saying (again, in Spanish, I didn't know he spoke English at this time) "It is really early, Please, could you put your dogs inside?" I was intentionally being super nice so he'd have no ammo to yell at me or anything...which is when I noticed the gun.
While in the dark it looked like a .22...even a .22 could hurt a bit. He said "Do you have a problem?" intermingled with several swear words. I pointed out the obvious, not quite in a panic yet but my niceness was being replaced by 'holy crap this guy is crazy'. "I'm pregnant, I have young kids, I just came over to ask if you could just put your dogs inside so we can sleep?" I didn't understand his reply, which was full of swearing among other words I did't recognize, so I said "I'm sorry, my Spanish isn't that good, what?". He got very agitated and in English mocking me "You don't understand? You don't understand?" waving his gun. So again, my request, this time in English "I'm just asking if you could put the dogs inside" Which is when he said "no, there is a man outside whistling"....ummmm, ok....
I ended it by saying, "I just came over to ask if you'd be a good neighbor..." and he cut me off pointing the gun and said "I'm NOT a good neighbor".
I came inside, the dogs were still going nuts, Kris asked if I wanted him to go talk to the neighbor which is when I said "uh no, he just pointed a gun at me, I don't want him to shoot you".
So Kris contacted the RSO just to report it for security reasons, not that anything can be done about it here in Mexico, but at least the embassy will have a report if something bad happens. Kris was also concerned to put it mildly. If a guy can point a gun at an obviously pregnant woman in a green flannel pioneer-looking night gown what else would he do? I'm thinking if he doesn't come over and profusely apologize he's a complete nutt job. He looks like an unstable wacko and it might definately be time to move into a different house...with a whole 'nother set of problems. What to do?
So back to my dad...when I told him a few weeks ago, if the dogs continued to bark so early in the morning, Kris was going to go over and talk to him about it. Which is when my dad said "I hope your neighbor doesn't shoot him". I laughed and said "oh, please dad"...more proof my dad is a wise man.
Always In The Middle
13 years ago
24 comments:
I saw your facebook status and immediately knew that there would be a post on this. I'm so sorry that you always have to deal with crazies! Maybe since you have to deal with them now, you'll never turn into a crazy yourself.
Ditto on Facebook. I am speechless! Things like this happen in the US, but at least you have the security that there are laws that somewhat protect. Between that and the attempted break-in, I would have packed my bags a long time ago, but I can see where that causes a ton of new issues. I am sorry you have to deal with this kind of garbage!
Oh My God, Garity! You need to move NOW! Hopefully, right now you are packing.
Can you call the embassy and ask them for your gun back, pronto por favor???
I like Ohio now. Thanks for the wake up call. Boring is good.
Let me know how you are! Now I am wicked worried!
for the love-- no more excitement for the pregnant woman. so glad you're okay- but sorry you have such a psycho for a neighbor. be careful, girly.
I'm doing better tonight, more ticked off than freaked out. I'm thinking I should have gone with the hamburger and rat poison rather than doing what I thought would be the more civilized route which was asking nicely.
Kris asked about moving homes today because of this as well as several other issues but it doesn't make a difference. It could be months before they even consider our situation so what's the point?
I've learned a lesson about the reality of living in Mexico City. Just talking to a few people today, Kris has learned that our experience was pretty mild compared to what others have experienced. He was also told that it's a good idea to keep to yourself when it comes to your Mexican neighbors because of the drug cartels and their ties especially with how rampant the cartels are here. Corruption is a whole 'nother issue when it comes to the cops so don't expect them to do anything...we learned this on Christmas day when they came banging around for their "bribes"...if you don't pay the bribe you'll be sorry when you need them. Unfortunately our neighbor is completely loaded to the gills so he definately has more money to pay the cops off with than we do. God Bless the USA!
What more can be said! Ditto on everybody else's post. I was sort of joking when I said reading your blog was like reading a thriller. Praying for your... Whatever it is you need most right now. :-)
Hamburger with oragel in it will freeze their windpipes. Every cop in St. George I have talked to has used this when owners are not home and the dogs are not shutting up.
How scary!!!
Yeah and poo on the government of Mexico. I still hate Cinco De Mayo for that reason. If Mexico is so great and you want to celebrate such a important and wonderful day and celebrate how great Mexico is then for the love of pete move freaking back!!!!
Ok rant over.
Such a scary situation. I had flashbacks to my mission. But, seriously...what have we learned here. A valuable tool.
From now on...the answer for my children EVERY time they ask me "why" will inevitably be..."because there is a man outside whistling."
There is no response!
Somehow I'm not so sure he really spoke English, it must have been random lines from sitcoms.
Okay, WOW. I think you walk with the Holy Ghost sitting on your shoulder, and a phalanx of angels around you! Thank heaven you do.
See, when I am up at 6, or earlier, I do strange things, like obsess about issues I can't control, and compose bad poetry in my head. For some reason, I was thinking of you yesterday morning,(I guess a little before this happened) and I was composing stupid rhymes with your name in them.... Guess you needed prayers and not stupid rhymes! Sheesh, woman, next time I will pray if I think of you in the early hours of the day.
I read "whistling" and immediately thought of drugs... that the man didn't want his precious dogs exposed to second hand smoke of some narcotic sort.
Wow! That is a whole lot worse than what we went through! Stay safe, and avoid the crazy one next door.
Don't take me wrong, I love dogs... which is why I'm going to suggest that you shoot them with tranquilizers rather than your bullets :) (and a few for the owner too)
Oh wow. And people think Nampa is scary. I hate when people are mean to pregnant women. When I was eight months pregnant an old guy pushed me in the grocery store for taking the last jar of dry roasted peanuts(I couldn't get enough of them). I was angry until his caregiver apologized, turns out he was pretty far gone with Alzheimers.Any chance this guy has a degenerative brain disease? Be safe.
Kerry
garity, where have i been???!!!??? you know, if i were you, i might just go home, have my baby, and never come back here. i mean SERIOUSLY! i... i can't even comment right now.
oh but hey, you know what really cracks me up? is that you so calmly ask me on my blog after this brink-of-death incident if i want you to bring me back some cinnamon life cereal... really? only you, garity. only you!
Garity there is NO ONE like you!! you rock... seriously... not freak out with a gun pointed at you? You have some serious guts!! I love all of your stories... keep em coming!
My professional opinion is that this guy suffers from imbecillitis and machismo. In addition, he is narcissist and has antisocial tendencies: no regards for the safety of others, no moral inclination, no conscience, and complete disregard for social norms. Stay away from him as much as you can, don't try to be nice to him. It doesn't work with cold blooded people. Jose
Jose - don't forget short (Napoleon complex). I was extremely irate over this to say the least. I am having a difficult time not beating him within an inch of his life. It isn't macho talk either. I have decided my children really need their father not being in a jail in Mexico though. It has taken a lot of prayer to cool my jets. There is more I would like to say about this but I can't. Maybe when I get back to the US.
OK so I read this days ago, and have not left a comment because I am just simply speechless!! I am so impressed that you kept your composure.
I hate barking dogs!!
This is BIG Garrity, and I think you handled it with amazing calmness. Please be careful!
Melecia
Have you moved yet?
Praying for all of you each and every day. Hoping things are staying safe.
I know Heavenly Father is aware of your situation ...He will get you through this. The boys sure have a wonderful mom...and dad!
Love ya',
Mom
I'm just surprised you didn't take him out! What, no gun under your jammies???
Ganelle,
LOL, you know darn good and well if we were allowed to have guns here in Mexico I'd have one...or several.
LOL. I love your posts so much and the comment above makes me laugh because I know it is so true! if you were allowed to have guns in Mexico you would have several!!!! ;^) True true. Well I am so glad that you are alright and what an experience! Oooiii!! Poor thing! I can't wait to read the follow-ups on what happens with this neighbor!
Post a Comment