It has been a rough week for me already. Morning sickness started full swing on Saturday and it has been nonstop ever since. Now when I say nonstop what I mean is it lasts all day and through the night. If I dream about food, which I am known to do, (especially about this drive-thru restaurant that exists only in my dreams that carries every imaginable flavor of milkshake possible and bacon cheeseburgers) I wake up and have to make it quickly to the bathroom and try not to fall back asleep on the bathroom floor.
I was getting worried that I didn't have morning sickness yet because the last time I didn't have morning sickness I had a miscarriage so I was hoping and praying that I would get it...but not this bad. Who the heck has morning sickness all day and while they are sleeping? If Kris moves too much on the bed it's just about over for me. To give you another idea of how sick I've been, I haven't had a diet coke in 5 days and the thought of chocolate, even the smell, has me racing to the bathroom. Jamison ate some M&Ms and then breathed on me...that was enough.
So an amazing thing happened last night. The boys were in bed by 8pm, Jamison fell asleep by 9pm and all I could think about was laying down myself and going to sleep. I am lucky if Jamison is in bed by 10:30! The child won't wind down but it was just about a miracle that he was closing his eyes and it was a few minutes before 9pm. That's the end of what was amazing this night.
I got ready for bed, lay down and was rudely interrupted by a blood curdling shriek....and then another...and another, so on and so on. And then someone started shooting what sounded like guns. I threw on some clothes, opened the door to our apartment and looked out into the patio.
(Our temporary apartment is set up facing a small patio which has a pool and a small play area. We are on the first floor so the patio is right there, no more than 20 feet from our door and master bedroom window)
When I opened the door I saw several halogen floodlights lighting up the patio and people were running around with little 'Britney Spears' microphones around their heads. (We keep the blackout drapes closed so we had no idea all this was going on.) Turns out, they were part of a film crew and were filming some murder scene. I gathered this from the bloody people laying next to the pool and skanky Latina strumpets doing their 'best' TeleNovela 'acting'.
We had no prior warning from the apartment office that this was going to be going on.
You know darn good and well what I did; I walked over, interrupting the shoot, (had a hard time taking my eyes off the REALLY bad makeup jobs, they were supposed to be bloody but it was pretty bad Wal-mart Halloween makeup...it's a novela after all) and told one of the guys "That is enough with the screaming! It is late and my family has to be up at 5:30am! No more please!" (It's times like these that I'm grateful I speak Spanish) I went back inside and after a few minutes looked outside again and I was SHOCKED that they started packing things up! It wasn't just because of me but I guess I was the last in a long line of complaints.
Well they continued to bang around and it was almost 10 pm Kris headed out. He ran into the owner of the apartments who was absolutely furious. She had received so many complaints from the tenants that she came over to the apartment building. Turns out, the film crew had a contract with her to come to the apartments at 7pm, film people walking up and down one of the balconies for 30 minutes and that was it. She had no idea there would be so much equipment, lights and bloody actors around the patio area, not to mention not giving them permission to be there past 8pm! This is a small apartment complex and all are furnished temporary apartments mainly used by the embassy, only 20 apartments, 5 stories high and all facing the patio area.
While Kris was talking to her the director came up to them (all smiles and trying to be charming) with an “everything is OK” attitude and an “I don’t know why you are upset” sort of rambling excuse towards the owner of the apartment. Kris lit into him pretty well, to which the owner of the apartment told Kris after “I don’t think he has ever been spoken to like that before but that is the first and last time they ever work here again”.
When Kris got into work today he spoke to his boss who is also staying in the apartment complex. He was pretty upset and told Kris he was going to be moving elsewhere because the place was just too darn busy for him. This made Kris and I feel much better because it is nice to know that there are others who aren’t cut out for city life either. Blaring horns from backed up traffic, drunks laughing and singing at all hours of the night, smoke filtering in from anyone smoking a cigarette nearby or in another apartment, neighbors who think it’s just fine to walk around upstairs in stiletto tap-tap-tappity-tap-tap heels, you get the picture. Will our permanent home be any better? At least it’s in a neighborhood-type setting, it can’t be any worse. Our dream of 40 acres in Idaho keeps us sane.
Always In The Middle
13 years ago
13 comments:
Wow, lot's to comment about. First, did you say this was going to be a little girl? Might explain the gravity of the morning sickness, lol!
Sorry to hear you don't like chocolate any more, that's really hard for me to digest...
The whole Novela shoot kind of cracks me up (sorry for that too). I mean, you're in a third world country right? Seems kind of par for the course to me, but I'm glad it's not so status quo for you yet that it would prevent you from writing about it.
I hope you don't have your Idaho farm/acreage money invested in the stock market... I already accepted the fact that I'd be working until the grave but if the market keeps the current trend, I'll have to keep working 2+ jobs in the after life to make ends meet. It's just about enough to drive people to strike naked if you asked me...
Sorry to jack your barf-post, I hope you start feeling better soon. If it helps any, the harder it is for you child-bearing moms, the more I admire you women who willingly make such sacrifices. If I were the great judge and author of providence and great blessings, I'd certainly be taking all of that into consideration.
And you wonder why I went insane in Portugal. Our kitchen was turned into a web for drying clothes, no hot water, bed that fell apart as we slept, slept on the floor with a 2 inch matress, a front door that looked like a door that belongs on a bank safe, no air conditioning, no heat, constant smell of smoke and dried cod fish, LOUD drunk men yelling at each other all night, dog poop on every inch on the sidewalks, little boys (6-12 year olds) humping my back while I sat wating for the bus. NO JOKE! They thought that I was britney spears and they kept calling me britney so I would have to plan my day going out when the kids were in school. Or run fast. People saying that I was a fat American in Portuguese thinking that I didn't know what they were saying. That's why I never know what to say when people ask..."Did you just love being in Portugal?" Again this is why I went crazy but thank goodess for the pills the doctor there gave me that are illegal here in teh US.
Michael CONSTANTLY asks me...so you should plan on when to visit Garity. HE JUST SAID IT THIS MORNING AT PANERA!!! NO JOKE! What is the deal with this guy? I think I'll wait till you get into your new place.
I am so sorry about the M/S it really sucks to have it all day and night. I remember I could not stand the smell of Daves deoderant and he sleeps with his arms wrapped around his pillow so I always smelled it and had to run to the bathroom. He changed his deoderant at least 6 times each pregnancy. Another smell that killed me was the house. Normally my house doesn't smell but my gosh when i am preggers watch out!!!
Greg, I hope the chocolate thing is just temporary also, it happened with Jamison and once the morning sickness was done I was back off the wagon so to say.
The way Kris and I figure the finances is, as soon as the kids are in school I go to work too which at this point sounds good to me as long as I don't have to deal with a boss...is that possible?
Don't know if it's a girl. I've had morning sickness each kid but this has been the worst so far, but then again Jamison was the worst too and we thought he'd be a girl.
Kyra- I remember your e-mails well about Portugal. There's nothing like these kinds of experiences that make you realize that the USA, in spite of all its issues, is still the best place to live. Fortunately, we've already had our experience living in a dump (Caracas temp apartment) and we hopefully will never have to go through that again. I am so done with the whole 'sleeping with bugs' experience.
As for the fat American comment, luckily Mexico is the second fattest country so we kind of blend in -he he he.
Darci- That's funny because I keep walking into the kitchen/living room area freaking out about the smell and I'm the only one who can smell it. I gave up trying to mop it everyday and chucking limes and bleach down the disposal (not at the same time) I don't know where it's coming from but it drives me crazy!
So sorry you are sick Garity, one of the blessings of adoption is no pregnancy pains. Love to read your blog. We are pretty well in AZ. It cooled a little the past two days. 75, not bad. How is the weather down there? You are all troopers. Love to all of you.
you're a trooper, that's all i gotta say.
No 3rd world countries for me! That does it! Seriously you are the woman---tough and it sounds like you have a good man to back you up. All I can say is your making more memories than you know.
Sorry about morning sickness...had it bad with both of my girls...that's why I fear having another one---weight loss is great...but pregnancy just isn't the way I hope to go about it.
Wow! You're having an even bigger adventure than we are! Yikes!
Thanks for the invite to your blog! It's so interesting to read about other people living outside the US! (I love your background, btw!)
After a little taste of what I'd be experiencing if we were in your shoes, I'm not even going to complain about the high price of produce in the commissary anymore!
:)
Brandon's Baby Sister,
Emily in Japan
I couldn't stand chocolate the first half of my prego with #2. I got over it in spades! (Just ask the lady at Mrs. Fields!)
I'm thinking, maybe a girl???
oh, got your sweet comment. warmed my heart. i know you'd be there if you could, but when nature calls... there's just no stopping the urge. and just the thought of all those little diapered bodies in close proximity... enough to make a girl hurl at the thought, not even when suffering from a raging case of m/s.
I called you today but no answer. Try you maybe tomorrow. I'm going to Orlando on Friday with Michael's parents...wish me luck!
Horray! I finally got onto your blog! Sorry about the sickness. Child bearing really bites sometimes!
You should write a book about your experiences in Mexico. I hope your permanent home is a little less dramatic!
Hope you are feeling better and sounds like you will be getting a little more sleep so you can dream more!
I never had a problem with chocolate, thankfully!!
Post a Comment