We are back from Williamsburg, VA. I will definitely post some pictures from our visit.
I did want to give you an update on our next door neighbor.
Here is what happened following my previous post.
Kris contacted the embassy security office to see what our options were. He also spoke with some local police who told him that we should press charges so they could find out if Lambert (we found out that is our neighbor's name) was even allowed to own a gun. We were told since he was actually out on the street and walking up and down the sidewalk when he pulled the gun on me, that alone was a serious charge...not allowed to do that at all here in Mexico. The police were really chomping at the bit and the Ministerio Publico (the District Attorney) was adamant about me coming in to speak with him about what happened.
Kris spoke with the acting RSO-Regional Security Officer at the embassy (the RSO was out of town so this guy was next in command) who also wanted to move forward with things. They wanted a signed statement from me and with that they could work with the District Attorney.
Our next step was to contact GSO housing because I didn't want to move forward with anything unless we would be able to move. This was the complete and total source of my anxiety...I couldn't move forward with anything unless I knew we'd be able to be far away from Lambert when we did it.
Obviously things work a little differently here. I didn't want to be in this house, with him next door, as an open target for retaliation. Retaliation is a very serious threat here in Mexico if you DARE to challenge anyone. There are no laws to protect you against it. The police told us the most likely reason Lambert did what he did was because a WOMAN dared confront him...a pretty serious insult to his insignificant machismo cranial emptiness. I'll have to keep that in mind...and use it often on these machismo men...maybe that's why the maintenance guys got so upset with me when I showed them that they were not putting the insides of the toilet back together right.
GSO housing told Kris it would be about 7 months before they would do anything for us. As you well know, I despise GSO housing with a passion. I understand the embassy is trying to give the functional retards a place to work, and bless their hearts for their compassion, but how about putting them in an office that doesn't directly affect entire families? It is bad enough we have to be in this house that has a history of flooding with sewage but now we add this on top of it (not to mention all of the other problems that we STILL haven't been able to get them to fix...the electrical system is still messed up and we still get shocked plugging things in).
Kris and I had to make a decision. Because GSO was unwilling to make any sort of exception for us and we'd have to stay in this house through any legal measures against Lambert we had to throw up our hands and say "He wins". The safety of our family is more important and we couldn't risk escalating things to where retaliation was a threat, so Lambert wins...he gets away with what he did and we can't do anything.
We are getting the last laugh though when it comes to Lambert. I can't talk about it while we are here in Mexico but when we move back to the US I'll share...it's awesome and I felt really guilty about it but hey, what's the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans?"
What we did about the dogs though is pretty funny. We bought one of those ultra sonic machines that emits a piercing signal (only they can hear) every time a dog barks. We set it on the loudest setting (the box has a recommendation that the loudest setting should only be used on acreage...gwa ha ha *snort* ha ha!). It has been family entertainment for us to hear the dogs start barking and then immediately followed by whimpering. We figure in a few days-weeks these dogs will be bark trained.
Major Kudos to my parents who have the decency and consideration to bark train their dogs (and have done so for all the dogs we've had growing up with). I don't mind living next to dog owners like them!
Always In The Middle
13 years ago
10 comments:
Yup we bark train our dogs too. I can't stand out of control barking dogs.
ZCan't wait to hear
Hey Garity, wow! I'm glad you have some secret satisfaction at least to help you through all this. Kris said you will be going back to the U.S. for a bit to have the baby. I am glad! It does seem that you are caught between a rock and a hard place a lot. I was going to suggest that you find a way to stretch it out longer, but then you would all be apart again. Geez, we'll keep praying for your safety. Love you all!
I'm glad to get the update! I am not happy that Lambert wins but I can't wait to hear how you got the last laugh! I KNOW that it is going to be good! :^D So I'm not going to forget to have you write about that when you are back in the US.
Nice job with the dogs too. I have no doubt they will be trained in no time!
I miss your family! Glad all is well!
Argh, I typed up a good comment and blogger lost it. I'm cutting and pasting this one to a text file before I try to publish.
That's funny about the dogs. I was thinking to get even with Lambert you should figure out a way to redirect your raw sewage flooding issue his way...
Also, I wanted to comment on your snopes comment on my blog. My wife's MIL is the biggest offender. Yeah mom, she frequents my blog so I figured I'd not comment there. But come on, she should know by now that she is the biggest offender and yet each time it's like she's never heard of snopes before... I'm like, you can't be sending yet another urban legend, didn't we already do this???
I'm looking forward to your return to the States so that I can hear the "payback" story.
Wait a minute, comment moderation??? I'm going home. I keep typing and it isn't blogger at all, is it? You're laughing at me now, aren't you?
Nah Greg, I'm not laughing at you at all because I used to do it on my sister's blog before I realized she had comment moderation turned on.
OOPS! Sorry about the comment moderation. I did pick my favorite one of your posts and published that.
garity- I was wondering about you! your plan sounds like a good one, although I hate that you'll have to wait so much longer...stay safe! catch you later :) ash
Love the emitter story!!!!! I always wondered if those worked!!! So does Lambert know why the dogs are whimpering?
While I love vindication, I am glad that you family is safer and not pressing charges.
btw... Have I told you that I think the GSO really sucks?!!!!!
Can't wait to hear what you did to Lambert... I won't forget that you owe us the end of this story after you return to the states!!!
Wow! It sounds like you acted intelligently and in your best interest. It's sad that the Mexican machismo won't make room for a capable woman. I can just picture you and Chris in the next house over training those dogs! LOL! Thanks for being you Garrity!
-Melecia
I think Mexican men need to come across more intelligent women... and Mexican women need to stop letting their men be such pigs!
You are so smart! Too bad you can't find a similar way to get Lambert trained.... ;-)
Post a Comment