Sunday, February 8, 2009

800 Pounds of Wood

When Garity and I first married, we bought a small round dining room table for our one-bedroom apartment. This table came with a hidden leaf that folds up inside the table to comfortably seat six. After almost 11 years, we came to the realization that we simply needed a larger dining room table. Fortunately, Mexico can solve that problem if you don't mind rustic style furniture. If you are into glass tops and Scandanavian design, prepare to be disappointed.

We piled the family into the car and followed our friends up to Metepec, a small town just south of Toluca about 40 miles from Mexico City. We entered what looked like a small shack full of rustic furniture decked with wrought iron accents. Very cool stuff. Out back, they had even more items. This was their showroom of course, everything is made to order. You just show them what you want (a picture from a magazine will do fine), or pick it out from their catalog, then they make it and deliver it 10 days later.

We had a budget on this, but we wanted something that would last a long time so Garity picked out a simple but pretty table and chairs. At first we had them calculate a rectabgular table that would seat 8. That came in at about 1/4 of our budget so we made it bigger. We ended up with a table to seat 12; 11 feet by 4 feet - yes it is huge. We were still well under our budget, so we added two very large book shelves to the order. The furniture is hand made solid wood (and very substantial) using mortis and tenon as well as dovetail joints. The stuff would easily cost three times what we paid if bought stateside, and we still came in under budget - including the 12 chairs. All in all, we really got a great deal.



The furniture was delivered as promised - at 10:30 Friday night. I ran out to find them near our home because the had gotten lost. It took me several minutes to find them, and I actually drove past them twice. I was looking for a moving van, they were delivering it on an old 1/2 ton truck...your regular pick-up truck. I remembered looking at it thinking "why would anyone stack so much furniture on such a small truck?" and "that table on top is huge - wait - that's my table!"



Two men had the old pickup loaded beyond capacity. The chairs were stacked on the bottom with the bookshelves laid flat on top, then the table on top with more chairs. It was all packed very tightly and from ground to the top of the bundle was easily 8 ft. The local policeman even stopped by to help us, which was perfect timing because the four of us could barely move the table. The legs are just shy of one foot wide. They said that they needed to do this as well as make the top thicker (it is 2.5 inches thick) because of the length. It is free standing with no center support. The fact that it was driven over bad roads 40 miles away without any damage at all is a testament to how well this stuff was made. Delivery cost a whopping 400 pesos (about $28). Realizing this is what the delivery men were getting paid from, we gave them each a healthy tip as well as the cop for his help.



We got it all moved in and are enjoying the extra flat space, as well as just having a real dining room table. I don't know how we will move it when we leave because it does not disassemble, but if two men and an old pickup can do it, I'm sure that a professional moving company can manage.


12 comments:

Abbie Nelson said...

Holy I'm in love with that table Batman!
Seriously...I just told my husband we need to live in Mexico. :)

Anonymous said...

Garity...when are you getting me that table? So far you guys owe me a guitar for me and a little guitar for Sabie. A little dress/skirt for Sabie and now you guys just added something to the list. I can't wait to see what else you guys are going to get us. What's next what's next what's next? ;)

Anonymous said...

What Weston is saying the third picture.

"Dad, you're not listening. The statistics are far to complicated here. I would say there is about 43% or maybe 52% part of this table that will remain empty. Who's going to fill it up? This just doesn't make no sence no sence at all Dad"

Braedon is saying in his head.

"Who cares Weston and where the heck is mom with our dinner?"

Garity said...

Ha, actually Kyra, Weston was asking if we were going to be having more kids to fill up the chairs.

Whatever house we buy back in the US will have to have those double wide front doors. Although, we've never had a home that had a dining room so I guess that would be the first requirement.

Happy The Man said...

Wow, gorgeous!

Darci said...

Oh wow that is amazing!!! Good buys.

monika said...

I loooove it! You know you are a Mormon family if your dream dining room table seats 12 and your kids want to have more siblings to fill it up! This is gorgeous stuff. I love how it is not only mortised, tenoned, and dovetailed, but that the carpenters were knowledgeable enough to make the top and legs more substantial. (My dad would love working there!) You can tell that they are honest people, and that their name on a product means quality.

Holly said...

Is very lovely furniture. Use it to barricade yourselves in if needed until you can move, looks like maybe it could stop a bullet...yikes, perish the thought, really, I'm kidding...please stay safe. Love you again!

Melecia said...

Chris, You look like the "Lord"
of the Manor. I love that table - I can just picture all your family sitting around it! That's amazing how they got it there in a pick-up truck! Awesome!
-Melecia

ganelle said...

I have been looking for a dining table since we moved into our new house. I LOVE your table. I really wanted something big and solid looking. So jealous!!!

Janet said...

I love it! Proud of ya' Kris!! Love, Mom
P. S. - remember our long table from the McMillan family that grandpa Mac brought out in the trunk of his Ford sedan to Boise? Things get better and better! We could seat the 10 of us around that. Hummmmm ...I think Weston is on to something!!

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.