We finally got curious enough to figure out where it was coming from and what he was selling. I was told by a neighbor "he sells camotes and platanos" (sweet potatoes and plantains). The next time I heard him I handed Bronwyn off to Kris and ran downstairs with my cash in hand. I am a sucker for sweet potatoes but I think it's a pain to prepare them so to have someone else cook them for me, I'm all over it. I like plaintains usually but I don't like them roasted.
The whistle is from the release of the pressure building up in the roaster and does double duty as a way to announce his arrival. You can see the whistle part to the left of the plank of wood hanging out of the burner. There have been some nights he "hangs out" so his roaster turns into an aggravating noise contraption, loud enough, we think, to warrant a sweet potato shoved up...well, you get the point.
It's nice to think I have sweet potato service to my door and I try not to think about where he is getting the wood to use in his roaster, he's not exactly carrying around a stash of it in his back pocket. Now all I need is a Chocolate Dude and an Ice Cream Chap and I'll never have to leave the apartment.
Speaking of Sweet Potatoes...
This is my favorite sweet potato. I just started her on oatmeal cereal. Forget that rice cereal crud, oatmeal rocks and I'll tell you why. After her first feeding, which she inhaled, I cleaned her up and leaned in to give her a kiss and smelled oatmeal cookies on her breath! Thinking I must be imagining it I get the boys involved.
Me: Hey Weston come here! Smell Bronwyn's breath and tell me what it smells like.
Weston: Ewww! No way!
Me: Trust me, just take one little sniff.
Weston: Mmmm! She smells like cookies!
Braedon: Let me smell!
So now they line up after she eats her cereal just to smell her breath. How weird are we?
(yes, I am beating myself up for cutting off her chin in this picture)
6 comments:
Adorable! Oh my gosh SHE is a Line all the way. One thing is certain, you guys are consistent with the look! And beautiful kids to boot...
Thanks Greg! I've learned to label baby pictures especially since they all seem to look similar (and at least the boys have been dressed in the same hand-me-down clothes which really makes it hard).
Laughing so hard that you actually got that dude and his blasted whistle on tape. AND, that you went down to buy something form him. How were the potatoes anyway? Baby B is just the cutest lil sweetie!
The cutest baby. I always say it and it's always true and she keeps getting cuter! Love the green!!
she is so cute!!!! i love that the sweetpotatoes and platains come right to your door too. man, the interesting things you come by!
I love your baby!!! Such a doll!
And I have got to find the sweet potato guy in Polanco. Yum! I bet they are super cheap too. Sometimes I think we'd spend a lot less money if we just ate street food.
have you found a knife sharpening guy on the street? they have a loud whistle noise when they go buy. I love having super sharp knives in my kitchen, ya know, we weren't allowed to bring any guns... no, but seriously, there is nothing like cutting through veggies with a freshly sharpened knife.
Post a Comment