
Now I know this is not something you ONLY see in Mexico but it is disturbing nonetheless. It makes me wonder about the motivation to target this spot specifically. This building is not a shack nor is it horribly run down. It is on a street full of typical 3rd world Latin American Mom & Pop stores. Garbage is the norm in this city, it's everywhere (dirty diapers left in grocery store shopping carts or even on the store shelves for example, Kris is my witness on this one). Even though it is the norm, what kind of mentality says that this is ok? So I ask again, illiteracy or spite? Slothfulness or ignorance? Would it be possible to round up all the militant environmentalists in the US, put them on a bus and drop them off here to torment these people? If you can't read the sign it says "Se Prohibe Tirar Basura" loosely translated: Trash Dumping Prohibited.
I missed last week's "Only in Mexico Monday" and blogging in general because to be honest, I have been doing a lot of Lego cleaning.
Load 1:
Load 2:
Moldy legos, who would have thought? One of the many surprises we found while unpacking. I've said this before, cleaning up after a flood is a mess. I am grateful though, that we aren't cleaning up after a fire. Thank goodness for Oxy Clean. The hardest part was separating all the Legos that were stuck together. Throw all the Legos (minus the pieces that can fit through the holes) in with soap and a few scoops of Oxy Clean, let soak overnight, and spin, rinse, spin, rinse, spin. No need to agitate them (I think that would kill the machine so don't try it!) but the soak and spin alone got rid of all the mold and mildew. YAY!
I just realized we have only been in our new apartment for a month. Half of that month I have spent in slow motion recovering from surgery. I have to continually remind myself not to get upset that we aren't more "moved in". I have to force myself to take it easy, put my feet up and crochet while watching the news, take the time to take pictures and update the blog, enjoy the kids and make fresh strawberry milkshakes for them when they ask nicely:
Keep this guy occupied and out of trouble:
Marvel at the newness of having a girl:
Notice the little things I love to study:
Enjoy our new outside view from the terrace:
And inside view from our front door:
And realize that if we ever get everything unpacked (for the second time this year) it only means it is getting repacked again less than 9 months from now when we head back home to the US.
Forget the boxes, I'm off to play Labyrinth with the boys
7 comments:
Pure genius to come up with cleaning Legos like that! You are brilliant! (No surprise there!)
You are doing a great job with the mess you've had to deal with. And...loving your family all along. The children are blessed:-)
Glad you are feeling some better. Any idea where in the states you might get relocated? Love you all. Mom Line
Good job taking it easy!
It's so hard, especially when you're a mom that has high expectations of yourself.
Buy all the seasons of Stargate SG1 and indoctrinate your boys.
We're gonna start our kids on that in another few years. :)
I'm impressed with the lego cleaning and glad to live in the US where we have wet wipes in the grocery store to clean invisible germs from the shopping cart handles, not that I've ever used them. But it beats dirty diapers!!
ok that picture made me laugh really hard. I thought New Orleans was bad. Do they have garbage service there, or do people just randomly throw their trash away on the street? Very ingenious way to clean the legos. I have used my dishwasher to clean toys on many occasions.
Ah, cool ideas for cleaning toys, I need that info! That baby girl gets cuter every picture you take! 3 cheers for rest!!!! And seriously, why bother unpacking all, for 9 months that will fly by fast! :-)
Wow1 We just inheited a huge tub of leggos from the boys tin cousins. Really good to know how to clean them I would have never thought of throwing them in the washer!
Post a Comment