Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why Birds Keep Flying Into My Windows

I found some of these pictures and I can't believe I forgot to post them!

A few weeks back, our apartment building announced a window washer crew would be working. They used our terrace to anchor from on our side of the building. Jamison had a great time watching them and I had to grab my camera because this is what they tied their ropes onto:



I didn't want to sound like a crazy woman so I only told them once that I wasn't sure the pipes were that secure (and they are awfully loose let me tell you!)...they assured me they were fine and they did this all the time but I think they had doubts themselves because they took the end of the rope and tied it to our hose spigot. YIKES!

Kris and I thought about setting up rappelling off our terrace, you know, just for fun. This is the last apartment building we plan to live in and we'd never be able to live in another penthouse so why not take advantage of it? No anchor points around except for these pipes so that idea got squashed...bummer. You think I'm kidding don't you?

Back to the washer, this is what he sat on:



This is how high we are (not too bad but high enough):



This guy's name is Jorge (pronounce it the Spanish way, not like the monkey) and he was so much fun to talk to. He is a budding photographer when he's not washing windows and he gave me some fantastic ideas for local out of the way picture spots for family pictures.

Once he got started with the windows he really gave Jamison a show. He would swing back and forth like a pendulum, kicking the wall to really get himself swinging in a wide arc which made Jamison laugh pretty hard (and me cringe thinking of the pipes the ropes were tied to). Jamison ran to each window (we have 6 large picture windows) and watched as Jorge swung from one side to the other soaping things up and squeegeeing it off with each swing. It was pretty acrobatic.

He did an amazing job but now I'm ticked because the inside of my windows look like crud. I liked it better when I could tell myself the crud was on the outside of the window. Time to get the boys some Windex and paper towels and put them to work.



8 comments:

Janet said...

That is the coolest guy...and the pictures of Jamison watching him are priceless - what more could a little boy ask for ! What a view.

ganelle said...

I saw plant an anchor and go repelling anyway!

Penthouse huh? Do you feel like George and Weesie from the Jefferson???

Anonymous said...

I wonder if he would have been so study if you would have flashed him?
I know my mind is like carbonated water with a lime.

Garity said...

Kyra...whaaaat????? Weirdo.

Jennifer said...

That guy sure earned his pesos! Glad to see you are living in a better place than the last couple of homes. In the penthouse, are you above the pollution in the city? At least the view is nice!

Anonymous said...

I figure if you were bored enough.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

what a fun day.

Happy The Man said...

I love your blog, so much fun stuff to read about! I've been absent from visiting here for a long time.