Friday, August 8, 2008

The Latest: Tick Bites

My parents have a lot of ticks in their backyard wooded area. We spray sportsman strength repellant (that's 30% DEET Y'all!)but still end up with a tick or two. They have 2 main ticks that I have seen, the Lone Star tick and deer tick. Lone star ticks don’t carry Lyme (although they do carry some other fun diseases) but deer ticks do. On July 18 I was changing Jamison’s diaper when I noticed a very distinct and clear bulls-eye shaped rash surrounding an area he had been bitten by a deer tick the month before. I put the kids in the car, went to the doc-in-a-box where he was diagnosed with having the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi which leads to Lyme. He has been on a 21 day cycle of antibiotics.

The day before we left for Mexico, my dad was feeling pretty rotten. Dizzy, flu-like complete with fever and chills. He had been feeling like this for a day or two first thinking maybe it was heat induced following all of the work Kris and he did on Saturday. Sunday he spent a lot of the day bundled in a sweatshirt and long pants under covers up to his ears (it was 76 degrees in the house!). I was actually excited that I might get a chance to wait on him by bringing him toast and Diet Pepsi (ugh, I know, I'm actually related to people who drink Pepsi). Monday morning as Kris and I were leaving for the airport he decided that he had better go in because he had a feeling it could be tick related. He went to the doctor where he was also diagnosed with Lyme and is also on a cycle of antibiotics. What is it with our family and bedbugs, bird mites and ticks? (Click on the bugs to read the corresponding post).

2 comments:

FOX said...

OH MY GOSH!!

You guys are like micro-insect magnets!!! Can't you be attacked by a more 'manly' insect!!!

How about blister beetles or yellow jackets? Just a suggestion! JK

OK! If you are going to stay on the roll you are on, just don't get lice as your next mini-bug!!!!

OK!!!!

I hope your Dad is feeling better and Jamison too! Did you actually remove the tick that was in his diaper area?

... and for Pete's sake, go get some 99% Deet!!!

Good luck in Mexico!!! Let us know when we can visit!!! We will wait and see what starts biting you first and then come!!! lol

Garity said...

Fox- yea I removed it. That's how I knew it was a deer tick and exactly what day it was that he got bit in that area. That was very helpful when the Dr was filling out the CDC report form. When I do remove them I keep note of where I removed them from the boys just so I can keep an eye on them. I was surprised because the tick had only been on him no longer than 2 hours (the time we had been outside) and everything I read says the ticks usually need to feed 24 hours before lyme is transmitted...the key word being 'usually' but not always!!!!