Sunday, June 28, 2009

Way Cooler (and Softer) Than Scorpions...Scalopus aquaticus

OK class, let us review the Line family experiences with pests and creepy crawlies:

Bedbugs
Birdmites
Ticks
Scorpions
(you can click on any of these links to read the post)

I would argue the next "pest" isn't one at all unless you have an infestation. I am talking about the über soft and super cute (in my opinion) Scalopus aquaticus or Eastern Mole.

Where my parents live, moles can actually be quite helpful when it comes to eating beetle grubs and aerating soil. The fact they eat a lot of earthworms too doesn't bother this gardener since I usually have many to spare if it means they will eat the grubs as well. Voles on the other hand should be killed without hesitation, that is if you can figure out how to do it without driving yourself insane.

My mom and I were standing on their patio scouting out a planting location for a new Japanese Maple when I saw the tell tale movement of soil that could only mean one thing...mole! I grabbed a shovel and quickly cut off it's escape route while at the same time popping the little darling up and out of the ground. With gloved hands I grabbed the stunned ball of cuteness and yelled for the boys.

My mom thought I was going to decapitate the mole with the shovel and she had gone inside to avoid witnessing the carnage. Who does she think I am? We are talking science class opportunity here! I'm not going to decapitate the poor thing when I have 3 boys who have never seen a mole!

Something I noticed while holding it, I was amazed at the strength! It continually tried to 'dig' through my fingers and I couldn't keep my fingers together, it was that strong! I kept trying to keep my fingers closed but it would shovel its way through them, its strength is amazing!

Yes, for a few moments I considered keeping it. Had we been in our own house I would have, for a little while at least...in the name of science and as a teaching opportunity (that's the excuse I like to give Kris). Sometime I'll tell you about the bunny in the basement. I've been known to bring animals home and not tell Kris until he happens upon them but the bunny in the basement wasn't one of those times even though he was quick to 'accusicate' and make 'demandments' for the truth. Oh, and what did I do when we were done? I put it back in their back yard. Moles are very territorial and once one leaves another will move in so no point getting rid of it since it isn't causing any problems.













8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WANT ONE!

Crawford Family said...

Haaaa! That would be horrible to decapitate anything so furry and cute! Plus a nasty mess to clean up. I bet your boys loved it! Yeah we haven't had anything cute like that in our backyard although we do have a very noisey owl which has caused Sam to have a deep rooted fear of owls. He is always asking me about the owl and making sure I close the back door so he can't get in our house-- weird! So are you guys headed to CO? You have to updte me on that.

Holly said...

Man, great reflexes, eyes and hands! Sounds like a fast job. It is cute, I didn't realize they were that small. I was once weed whacking around our house in Ohio and whacked into a nest of baby bunnies. I was sure the whip had cut one of them, but could've been my imagination. I was kinda scared I was so shocked to find them there. I suppose I should have done something about them, but they eventually left and I saw no other signs of trouble because of them. Ah, nature.

Garity said...

Kelly- Nah, no such luck on CO, we didn't get it but we weren't expecting to so we are headed back to Mexico Shi...I mean City.

Garity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

Our boys totally need to get together, they love stuff like that. We are going to the Oregon coast in a few weeks. They have never seen the ocean(I haven't either!) Everyone keeps telling us to go to Portland and shop and sight see. I just want to drive along the Columbia River Gorge and go tide pooling. Nature is the best free fun there is!

FOX said...

It is soooooo cute!!!! I want one too!!!!

Unknown said...

Pretty cute---wish I were brave enough to provide such "learning experiences" for my kids. They LOVE animals--!