Monday, June 1, 2009

The Details…minus the Gory Stuff -Part 1

Was it the batting cages that finally did it?

Wednesday May 27th I woke up and realized I didn’t have much left in me to keep going with this pregnancy and was further frustrated because it’s not like I had a choice. I don’t like having things to do, wanting to get them done but be unable to get them done because I don’t have the energy or am in constant pain that I can’t conquer with my usual mind-over-matter tricks.

I passed the first due date of May 20th, given to me following my first ultra-sound in Mexico. I knew this one was probably off since my whole pre-natal care experience in Mexico City was a huge joke. My ultra-sound here in Williamsburg gave me the due date of May 27th which made a little more sense when you considered the first day of my LMP date. I knew none of it was exact science but with 3 others who came at least 2 weeks early I figured I wouldn’t come close to the due date anyway. Wrong! When you’ve only had the experience of 3 pregnancies that all ended 2-3 weeks before the due date you tend to be a little spoiled. I decided on the morning of May 27th I would focus on mind-over-matter and put this whole pregnancy thing on the back burner and have some fun with my boys who have missed their active mommy.

I told Kris we were going to take the kids to the batting cages, called my sister Kyra to see if she wanted to go with. Took my daily limit of Tylenol in one dose and headed off to the cages. The kids had fun; this was the first time they had ever been in a batting cage. I spent tons of money on these things when I lived in Northern VA as a means of combating stress and I was looking forward to venting a little frustration and releasing some stress as well.

My sister Kyra couldn’t believe I was actually going to get into the cage and bat a few (for a brief moment I actually considered the “Happy Gilmore” movie scene where he stands on the plate). The Tylenol was working, I’d deal with the pain later, it’s not like I was afraid to go into labor or anything, inducing labor was kind of the point.

I hadn’t lost my batting edge and was happy to see I could still easily switch hit. OK, yes, so I was in the slow pitch softball cage…I wasn’t about to try and hurt myself duh! Weston and Braedon had a blast in the 40 mph baseball cage and I took Jamison into the slow pitch cage with me a few times…that boy has some great eye-hand coordination and was actually hitting quite a few even when I wasn’t helping him. He’s pretty good for a 2 year old and will hit wiffle balls for hours if someone throws them to him! Kris was making his way through the 40 mph, 55 mph and 70 mph cages. Kyra was a standout in the fast pitch softball cage and baseball cages as well. Her daughter Sabie (say Suh-bee, accent on the bee) wanted to join in on the fun since she likes to follow my boys around but no such luck since she’s only 15 months old.

I dropped the boys off at home after the cages and went to my OB appointment. No changes to speak of and I was told I would be induced on Sunday since I was already measuring at 41 weeks 2 days and walking around at 6cm dilated and over 75%. Thankfully I wouldn't have to wait until Sunday.

To be continued after I sleep a bit because the meds are kicking in and I can't write when I'm on these meds.

3 comments:

noelle said...

you are so funny. i get to the end of this post, and i'm like, "what? where's the rest?" k, new mom. go rest... she's a doll.

ganelle said...

Such a great story. I can't imagine walking around 6cm and 75% - surprised she didn't fall out!!!

Beautiful baby!

Crawford Family said...

Okay wow now I feel WAY better about going on the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom!