Friday, September 12, 2008

Carlos & Albert

When we were checking into the Sheraton next door to the embassy (our second hotel) the lobby had several statues the kids and I were immediately drawn to. They were so colorful and whimsical and one was a very large (6ft tall) frog doing a handstand on a sphere...we have a rather large collection of frog stuff so frogs always attract our attention.

The woman at the desk noticed the kids and I checking it out and she told us that we could buy statues from the artists in the gallery just out the front door of the hotel. The next day I was waiting for the kids' bus and luckily the bus stop was right in front of the gallery. The place was amazing. I wanted one of everything. How do I even describe the stuff? Colorful statues of all sizes, the statues of the whimsical animals is what I liked. They were funny, colorful, and imaginative. I'm not too into the other stuff like the suns or other things. But the animals were so fun.

When the boys got off the bus we went back into the gallery and really looked at everything. You couldn't help but smile at everything and it all just made you feel so happy to be near. I haven't ever had this kind of experience in an art or sculpture gallery before. So, you better believe I bought something...2 somethings actually. These stand about a foot for the frogs and a foot and a half for the crocodiles.





Everyday while waiting for the boys, Jamison and I would go into the gallery and look around. The boys would get off the bus and just about every day they would want to go into the gallery and look around too.

One of the statues outside:



One random day, the boys got off the bus and first thing they said while getting off the bus was "Can we go look at the animals?". So we did. As we were wandering through the gallery (the gallery changes once a week so there are always new things to look at) I notice the woman who worked there speaking to 2 men and looking over at us. She waved at me (we'd been in there enough times where she and I had spoken quite a bit, she sold me the 2 pieces I bought and she knew that we were huge fans of the place). She waved me over to the 2 men she was standing with and said "Mrs. Line, I would like to introduce you to Carlos Munoz and Albert Ickenroth, the artists".

Now I'm not one to be star struck but imagine me standing there unable to think of anything intelligent to say and all that comes out is "Oh my goodness! Really?" Yea, I know...stupid, stupid, stupid. I try to regain my composure and come up with something better to say than what just fell out of my mouth. I motion to Weston and Braedon to come over and introduce them to Carlos and Albert. They at least are cute when they say "Really?" then Braedon tells Albert "I have a question about this crocodile over here, how long did it take for you to make this?" so he and Braedon are having an intelligent conversation about molds and time spent waiting for paint to dry. Weston and Carlos are talking about their favorite animals to draw and paint and I'm standing there with Jamison thinking "just think of something to say, think of anything to say" but I stand there with a stupid grin on my face.

I remember my camera in the diaper bag and blurt out in star struck fashion "could I take your picture?" I'm a bumbling fool as I try and pose the kids around the crocodile Braedon was asking about. This is how dazed I was, I didn't even notice my camera wasn't in the right mode so the pictures aren't that great.





If you look on the black shelf against the wall you can see a mini version of the frog statue that originally caught our eye in the hotel lobby. It's the one doing a handstand on a sphere.

So I finally gain some control back. Albert was so nice and we ended up chatting for a while. Jamison was with me as Weston and Braedon were being shown around by Carlos. I told Albert that I was just in awe with their work, that I had never seen it before but I was just in love with all of the animal pieces. He said "Oh, I'm sure you have seen our stuff before this." I assured him we hadn't. He then said, have you ever been to Rainforest Cafe? I said "oh yes, way too many times, the food isn't that great but I love the atmosphere and all the animals" So he smiles and says "Those are OUR animals, Carlos and I designed them". So now I'm really star struck. Braedon and Weston come back and start talking to Albert. They ask if he and Carlos have a factory. Albert laughs and says that they do but it's called a studio, it's in Jalisco. So Braedon (bless his heart, he read my mind) says "can we come visit it and watch you paint?". Albert says "absolutely!" He takes out his card, writes his number on it and tells me to call him at that number before we come and either he or Carlos will take us through the studio. AHHHHHHHHHH! Ok, so I know they probably do this for several people but I was excited anyway.

Once we get into our home the boys and I are looking forward to displaying them. Jamison loves the crocodiles:







9 comments:

Happy The Man said...

Having just moved, I am not a big fan of nick-nacks and anything that isn't useful in purpose. Once they have a home (spot in your house), they are fine, but when you have to move them, you start to ask, "why do we have all this cr@p?"

We have a large DVD collection and now lacking the many built-in book cases that we had in our previous house, I'm wondering why we have all of these... After the younger kids wouldn't stop digging them out of the boxes and building stuff with them, I had to take them out and put them up high (on our fireplace mantel...

Anonymous said...

Woah first of all what's up with 'happy the man' clown. Did you know that mom and dad let me watch a part of IT when I was 11? I can't ever forgive them for that.

As for those CUTE art pieces...some of them were interesting and I can see why kids would love them. I personally liked the Noah's Ark piece. I actually like the bull playing the piano while the cow looks like she's (it has utters) is singing but I'm not exactly sure where that would fit in with my decor;) Those two really do a lot of detailing in their work and I think that's what draws a person into their work. Did you ask them if they work for schools? They look like they would fit in at places like elementary schools. I think they would entice children to focus on their artistic side.

Question...did you see the Giraffe with the really large boobs that in the picture with Noah's Ark? I didn't know they had boobs. Funnay!

The first picture of Braedon is just so him. To you it might be annoying that he makes all these silly faces but for me it screams out character. I love it. In the second one it looks like he is posing for an underwear add. He is one photogenic child.

In the photos I see a lot of eggs with babies popping out of them which got me thinking how's your baby egg doing?

Anonymous said...

The artist that I like that kind of reminds me of them is James Christensen. Google him. I am going to buy some pieces of his here in a gallery. I just have to wait for Christmas money to come!

Happy The Man said...

Nobody likes the clown, what gives???

Happy the Man had to lift A LOT of heavy stuff which made him not so happy... I guess those figurines looked a little too heavy to me, maybe not the little shelf ones but certainly the other "never smile at a crocodile" ones...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a total pack rat. But my aching back is finally helping me recognize that I need to change my ways.

BTW, I noticed the giraffe with boobs too, but then again I'm a man, right?

Darci said...

Oh love them!!!! Great pieces.

Garity said...

Hey Greg, yea clowns aren't too big in my family...creepy. But I did enjoy your post about Bozo.

As for the giraffe with boobs, it's actually a very chubby giraffe so it also has several spare tires and pudgy thighs. It's pudgy butt is hanging out the back of the egg from a crack in the shell. Ha Ha.

Kris hates all my knick-knacks too. I don't have as much as most people but then again, I pack them and carry them myself so he can't complain.

I think this gallery isn't really supposed to be for kids (the prices can attest to that...the Noah's Ark was $2000 dollars) but it sure is fun. They did give me dirty looks (like I cared, and it only made me go in more at the beginning) when we first started going into the place and would follow the kids around but soon they realized that the kids behaved and never touched anything. They were then welcomed and that one woman who introduced me to Carlos and Albert would actually show the kids all the new stuff when it was delivered. I never saw any other kids in there besides mine the whole time we were there, just a bunch of snotty Mexican women with their stupid pocket dogs in couture bags.

One Southern Belle said...

GERT!!!!!

It's been too long since I visited. For this I humbly apologize.

Cute figurines, but I look at them and think, "Realistically, these guys are a bitch to dust."

I can't believe you're expecting!!!!! What's the due date? Details, please! Boy, girl? When? Where? (Note: The last two questions were in reference to delivery...not conception. Just to clarify.)

Write me soon!

Love,
me

Ashly said...

ok. I'm a fan. I want one of the frog-on-the-stack-of-books, and one of the Noah's Ark. That's just for starters.... Those are so fun....seriously. Take pictures on your tour of their "factory", will ya? ;) I'd love to see the studio...off to "google" Carlos Munoz and Albert Ickenroth. my husband will thank you, I'm sure. ;)
p.s.- are you on Good Reads.com? I need some new book reviews by a trusted source....

FOX said...

The tall one with Jamison in it looks like it is from "Mr. Toads Wild Ride" at D-land!!!