If you had an endless supply of perfectly ripe tomatoes that taste homegrown, an equally plentiful supply of fresh avocados, and easy access to wonderful bacon, all at a price easily 1/4 what prices are in the U.S., what would you do? The Line family has oficially made Monday night BLAT night (bacon lettuce avocado tomato). The first night we made them (after moving into the apartment) we had no mayo, so we used ranch salad dressing, it has become a standard now. Where did we get ranch salad dressing in Mexico City? At Walmart of course! Garity discovered that celery salt also imparts a really nice taste to them. I am convinced that if we use bleu cheese dressing instead of ranch the sandwhiches will be perfect. Our rule is simple - keep eating the sandwiches until the bacon is gone.
A website I recently read claims that the average American eats about 2 lbs. of avocados a year. Of course that made Garity and I start laughing hysterically. Garity and I will eat that much in a week. The good thing is, avocados are a very nutritious food. They are an excellent source of protein, and are high in fiber and antioxidants. Don't worry about the claims that they have "fat" in them. They contain monounsaturated fats which have been shown to actually boost good cholesterol. The fats they have are beneficial and about as likely to cause a heart attack as celery. The reason people think they can make you fat is because avocado goes really well with bacon, fried tortilla chips, and other delicious foods that are likely add those pounds (like BLATs!).
So while we are here, we are going to enjoy fresh inexpensive avocados. We have been getting them at the open air market right outside our house. A vendor from Michoacan specializes in selling just avocados along with guacamole freshly made in a molcajete (a bowl made from volcanic stone that the Aztecs used to use and that are still used in food preparation in Mexico today). For those who don't like avocados - so sorry, they are definitely one of nature's perfect foods.
Garity will be posting photos soon - I am not allowed to touch the camera except in very rare instances. ¡Buen provecho!
Always In The Middle
13 years ago
13 comments:
don't care what you say, avocados and blue cheese anything should be outlawed. dad
You so copied Michael and I. We did that same thing in Portugal. Although we mixed the avacados with ranch dressing and taco spices (just a little). The bread had to be toasted of course.
yum! love those avocados. garity, loved that post about your boys. poor weston! :( makes me wanna go beat up those little rich kids. and their snotty parents, too!
No Kyra, we will be copying Michael and you when we make avocado milkshakes next...tell him to send us the recipe!
Dad- you are the guy who doesn't like strawberries and bananas, your taste is always questioned ha ha!
Ok you may have good avocados but we have the best bacon. We bought a pig from Mike's uncle and had it butchered. We have that really thick, too expensive to buy bacon whenever we want it. Dangerous for the heart but oh so good. We should get together for some BLATS.
Kerry- I'm thinking just get together to eat bacon!
michaelandkyra - oh, the bread was toasted, it was just whole wheaat though. Still have not been able to locate sourdough bread down here which is my favorite for blats.
Kerry - dang you! Now I want bacon (Barnafus' voice).
That was Kris who wrote the comment before this one not me.
-gert
Hi, my name is Greg and I'm a guacaholic! Yes, I love the green mushy things! My sister had an avocado tree the size of a house in her backyard and I had covetous feelings... Now you're making me have them all over again...
ICE cold milk
sugar
avocados (sliced and frozen)
I'm totally jealous! I love avocados. We had a few BLATs in Utah this summer, but I would eat them weekly too if I could (my kids are a different story though).
It is really hard for me to read about morning sickness since I am highly traumatized, but I sure do feel for you.
I wish I had good advice, but I quickly learned that everyone's handy dandy little tricks to subside it, is a load of crap!
Good luck!!!!
I am SO jealous!!! Oh those Monday nights sound SO GOOD!!! I love the idea of BLAT!!! Mmmm-Mmmm-Mmmm!!! And I was happy to read about the nutrition information on Avacado's. I will now feel better eating them! :)
Post a Comment