Thursday, April 2, 2009

Smelly Boys

On Saturdays if we drive out to Costco we pass these guys selling puppies on the street. Most of the puppies don't even look old enough to be weaned. This past Saturday I remembered my camera. Every time we pass them Kris and I gear up for the begging in the back seat "can we buy a puppy?" Each Saturday they have different puppies and my heart breaks for the poor things but we aren't about to buy from these guys.



No water to very little water...Day 6

Boys do not take well to army baths and only Jamison can fit into the sink that has been filled with water from the stove.




Here's what I've learned so far. Preparation doesn't always work. The other night I turned on the faucet at midnight to catch what trickled out into the only bathtub. It's a huge bathtub (click here for house post and bathtub picture)

I turned on the faucet at midnight and when I woke up at 8am it was just over halfway full. This would be the water we used throughout the day to flush toilets, wash hands, etc... By 2 pm it was empty. Not through use or the drain but through a crack under one of the jets. Note to self...buy more buckets.

Kris has been in Cuernavaca this week for a conference so we have been roughing it on our own.

Every day I've thought about going to a hotel but every day I've been told by the contractors that the water pumps are fixed and we can use the reserve tanks. The reserve tanks work right after the contractors leave but then...nothing. They've been back each day to fix something else. I thought today would be it but again, a little bit of water right after they leave but after a few hours...nothing. Tonight there is only a trickle which means another night without hot water. A contractor came back out tonight to take a look and figured out that what is happening is the check valve from the street supply needs to be replaced as well because when the city water pressure falls to a certain level the water that has filled the emergency tanks just flows backwards to the street pipes. A new check valve would keep the water in the tanks. They will be back tomorrow at 9am to replace the check valve at the street level.

The owner is still refusing to pay for any of it. Embassy is dragging their feet and questioning me every time I tell them "it's still not fixed!" which brings on another cycle of needing to get "authorizations" to have workers come out again. Bright light at the end of the tunnel...the city should turn the water back on full force this weekend.

Weston and Braedon were talking over dinner tonight and Weston made the comment "this is like camping but in a nightmare or something"

So what else can happen in the middle of all of this? The motor to our front gate starts acting up where it will only close so far before opening up again, over and over. A contractor will be out tomorrow to take a look but the owner is already refusing to pay for it so it will be another week of the embassy wringing their hands about the cost of fixing it. It's not a gate you can open manually and must have a motor to close and open it not to mention secure it once closed. So yes, when there is no power there is no way to open or close it and we are stuck inside.

Funny story, when I called GSO about the gate, Ricardo Tejeda (the guy who called me a "silly woman") showed up and handed me the opener while stating "Here you go, I fixed it". I said "Oh really? You fixed it? All by yourself?" I pushed the opener and BAM! it breaks for good this time complete with smoke from a burned out motor. I handed the opener back to him and said "do me a favor, don't fix anything around here by yourself, ok?"

Kris will be home on Friday and the boys and I can't wait.

10 comments:

Janet said...

Soon many of these extreme situations will be over ...and just perhaps...will become your family's funniest and fondest memories?!? Hang in there, be safe and enjoy all being together this weekend. You are all always on my mind and in my heart. Love, Mom Line

Linnea said...

I'm pretty much speechless. I love reading about your adventures and I am thinking you are a supermom saint.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

The grass is always greener on the other side. My boys are thinking the no bath thing would be like camping in a fantasy land. I think I vote with your boys though. I hope the things are already fixed.

Crawford Family said...

Oh MY Gosh!!! I am going to be reading this every day to prepare myself... wow. Congrats on the girl. I cried when I found out I was having a girl this time. At first because I LOVE boys and have always thought of myself as a boy person. Then a few weeks later out of joy, it just took some time. Can't wait to see you soon! Oh and I am really excited about teh Velvet Shoe String. I always thought that was a really expensive design store so I never went in. I am heading there this afternoon to check it out!

Unknown said...

WOW---pregnant and going through all these pretty intense "mishaps"---you are such a better woman than I. Hang in there.

Darci said...

I finally caught up on my reading. I hope you get to come home soon!!! I dont think I could ever stand this. Ok going back to bed...

monika said...

Nightmare is right! And I LOVED your response to Tejeda... it was perfect! Why do these crap situations seem to save up for the days the husband is either out of town, or so buried at work that he isn't available to back you up on the phone? (okay, I know, they are always buried because they are good at what they do... and keep getting more recognition in the form of extra neato jobs)
::tongue out of cheek now over the recognition thing::
The thing is, (you silly woman, you,) Senior Tejeda couldn't break the door down with HIS shoulder, and he really can't do it incubating a kid!
You Rock, Garity!

Garity said...

Monika, when I mentioned in my ealier post (the one where I had to break down the door) Tejeda was actually one of the guys standing there laughing when Kris told them it wasn't he who broke down the door but me. Tejeda stands as tall as my shoulder and has one of those pedophile moustaches. Quite the winner.

monika said...

"pedophile mustache".... eeeewwww! What a picture you just painted.... and accurate, I'm sure.

FOX said...

Weston's comment is sadly hilarious... I am so sorry for you! How long will you be staying in the good ol' USA?

You are still here right? Where are you having your baby?