I was surprised at the diversity at this Tea Party. I thought it would mainly be Conservatives or Libertarians but there were many people who were wearing "I voted for Obama" stickers (I'm guessing these were largely blue dog Democrats who are fiscal conservatives) as well as several hippie types who were carrying posters that said they were not happy with the spending, bailouts and threats of new taxes. Hmmm, and CNN said it was a right-wing extremist movement. Other Tea Parties around the country noted the same thing (different from CNN)...that it was largely bipartisan.
I had to take a picture of this VW Thing we saw today after it brought back some fun memories of after school band practice at Miami Killian. Scott Headburg drove a VW Thing and those of us lucky enough to jump in before it was full got a ride home "in style". I remember one specific time, Malia and Michelle Marco and I got a ride home, and I decided once I got my license (I was in 10th grade) my first car would be a VW Thing...a green one. When I got home, I told my dad and his reply was "are you going to fix it every time it breaks down?" In my infinite wisdom I said "don't worry dad, they hardly ever break down". I still laugh at the memory of the "lecture" that followed (I don't think my dad was a huge fan of VWs).
The boys really liked the paint job on the VW Thing we saw today and asked if we could paint the van the same way...don't think Kris would be too happy with that. I still want a VW Thing or a VW Bug to restore someday but right now Kris and I are planning our restoration of a Steyr Pinzgauer once we get back to the US. What is a Steyer Pinzgauer? Glad you asked! It's the Line Family's Future Camping Vehicle:


6 comments:
Hey Garity-
Didn't know if you've heard of this chic or not, but I sure like her...
www.karendecoster.com
great pics by the way... are you home for good or just vacation?
Ah yes, the Steyr Pinzgauer. Swiss Made - what else needs to be said? I will probably relent and get Gert her green Thing. It is only fair since I will be getting a 67 Chevy Camaro SS.
Okay that Pinzgauer is awesome! I grew up driving a 68 VW bug that I loved. I was always waxing it and cleaning the vinyl upholstery. When I went home last time I thought I would cry when I saw the state of it after one years use by my little sister. Some people just don't appreciate the classics. My dad has a gorgeous resotred two seater, convertable Sunbeam that I took to Prom and suggested doing so to afore mentioned younger sister who looked at me like I was crazy.
I am an instant fan of the Pinzgauer! Now I am wondering what the gas mileage on one of those buggers is... ;^) My brother had a 69 'Stang that I loved. By the time I got to drive it, his girlfriend had punched a hole in the headliner, and the speedometer was dead... it was still a sweet ride. And that's counting the ticket I got one day when I "estimated" my speed and got it wrong!
In Argentina, that VW thing was a Citroen, they were everywhere, by far the most popular car (well as far as cars go, most people didn't have one, but when they did...).
However, the Ford Falcon (I think a 60's body style, though due to their popularity and perceived prestige, they continued to make them new like that) was the most prestigious car to own. This was in the early 1980's. I'm sorry but a 60's body stile Ford Falcon would be a joke in the USA even back in the early 80's. A Ford anything for that matter (well except maybe a Mustang)... We just thought the Argies were clueless...
Hope you're enjoying your visit back to civilization... Since not updated posts, I assume you're still gone.
Garity, where are you??? You can't be this close to having a baby and disappear from blog site!!
Post a Comment