Thursday, May 8, 2008

Our Future Apartment



We were able to see our permanent apartment last Saturday and I'm just getting to loading the pictures after I found out about this slideshow thing from my sister's blog (Thanks Darci!) There are quite a few other pictures of the place in our photo album (and TONS more other pictures of life in Caracas so far). Shoot me an e-mail if you want me to add you to the permissions list for our photo album. On the slide show, you can scroll over a picture to see the caption or click on the + sign to speed it up (for those who aren't familiar with it).

The apartment is absolutely filthy right now. It hasn't been cleaned since the previous embassy family lived there and some of the embassy loaned furniture and other junk is still in the place as you can see in some of the pictures. It will be cleaned up for us before we move in which looks like it may happen at the begining of June. I've included a picture of Jamison after he was crawling on the floor just to give you an idea of how dirty the place was so you don't think I'm exagerating.



The apartment really isn't what I would consider 'my taste' but it is a very nice place and the biggest place we have ever lived in. The kitchen is a little too contemporary looking but then again "not the dream house". I will have no problem making the apartment comfortable and feel like home.

Weston loves all of the room he has now in his very own bedroom. No more messy spill-over from Braedon's side of the room. Braedon loves the swimming pool and that he has his own bathroom which means he can brush his teeth without having to wait his turn. Of all things my favorite things about the apartment is the ammount of storage space in hidden closets and cabinets. There is a hallway between the kitchen and dinning room that is full of ceiling to floor cabinets for starters, my clutter will never see the light of day and Kris is going to hold me to that promise. I also like that we will have fresh mangoes from several trees off of our balcony. There is also a Tamarind tree and enough room on the balcony for me to grow most of our vegetables especially lettuces since the lettuces at the market aren't really safe to eat (I don't know why that is but I'm sure I'll find out). Kris loves that his commute is between 10-20 minutes depending on traffic...a huge change from his 2 hour commute (one way!) back in Virginia. He also loves all of the hidden cabinets and can't wait until all of my crap is hidden in them rather than piled out in the open on every flat place in the house. We both like that there are only 9 other families living in the building so it's a small community...perfect for people like us who aren't really cut out for apartment living.

I have given Weston and Braedon 'free reign' with decorating their rooms that really only includes them picking out colors for their bathrooms and bedrooms. They are really excited about that and keep changing their minds about what colors they want. Right now Braedon wants a Red, White and Blue room while Weston wants a room that looks like green grass all over. I'm still trying to figure that one out but if he wants a green room he at least knows the right person to ask for a green room right? Next week they will change their minds but they will need to decide soon and stick to it.

6 comments:

Baker Mum said...

I want to go travel again. I'm living it all over again!!! I wish I'd stop finding your stuff in the house here in the US. I still cry...
Baker Mum

J & TK said...

Okay that is so gross. Oh Jamison!

FOX said...

Looks so much nicer than the description of the place Sirk described in a previous post!!!! I love the trees and the pool. How many years are you guys planning on staying?

I can't believe so much time has passed that I have never met your littlest boy.

Did you know that we got Dylan (now Dalyn) back. He came back into foster care and we were able to finally adopt him and were sealed Valentines Day 2007.

Sirk said...

fox - keep in mind we are not in our permanent apartment yet. We are in temporary quarters. It is an 800 square foot apartment that has not been updated since it was built in the 70's - it is very third world with no amenities.

We won't move in the new apartment for a couple months.

Cathleen said...

What an adventure!! Sounds like you guys are up to the challenge though. I was when I was younger and had fewer children, I don't know about nowadays though. You both are very descriptive writers. It is so interesting to read. We do miss you here in VA. Hopefully you will get into your new place soon and they'll clean up for you...my goodness! Jamison has grown in the past month...what a cutie! I'm looking forward to checking in on your adventures now and then. I'm not a very faithful blogger, I feel guilty when I take the time....there's always something that needs doing. Thanks for sending the invite anyway. Greg would enjoy keeping up with you guys too if you wouldn't mind sending him one as well. His address is gregorykbaker@gmail.com
BTW, we just went to a wedding in GA with the Johnstons (Lynn and Mark), it was a great time. I have their email address too if you don't have it. Take care :0)

Happy The Man said...

Great stories, all of them. I'm still curious about the bed bugs and hope to see pictures and find out what the mysterious little buggers were.

What can I say, enjoy the tacos!

OK, I'm just fart-knock'n around. I grew up in southern CA and always just assumed that anyone who lived south of the border ate tacos and beans. When I arrived to Argentina on my mission, I was surprised to learn that nobody there even knew that Mexico was a country, much less what a taco was...

I'm looking forward to hearing more stories and seeing more pics (please permit me to look at slide shows too).