Well, it is official. Garity and the boys are leaving Caracas. It was a difficult decision to make because we normally don't throw in the towel so easily. The crummy living conditions, the lack of support from the embassy, and the current political situation that is holding our household good hostage was just insurmountable. We were looking at several more months in our temporary quarters which was way too long. Additionally, not only would it take several months to get our car, furniture, and belongings into the the country - it would take several months to get them out as well. It is either the Venezuelans are extremely slow with their bureaucracy, or they are messing with us. I think it is 30% of the former and 70% of the latter. After the long wait for visas, the household being in flux for the past 8 months, we just don't have the patience to deal with the delays and our family living out of suitcases. Fortunately, my management agrees with me, and so the family is going. By the way, our household goods and car haven't even left the US yet! Our air freight shipment has been in the customs warehouse here for nearly a month though. It is getting sent back to the US to join the other items in storage in Virginia.
I will be staying behind in Caracas. Don't worry about the length of time I will be here, that will be resolved. I feel much better having Gert and the boys back in the USA right now though. That said, don't think that third world conditions overcame us - it has nothing to do with that. The problem was the lack of support with basic living conditions and the screwed up policies of the Venezuelan government. So on June 3, I will resume my work duties at the embassy, and the rest of the family will be going nuts at Busch Gardens with the Grandparents. PLOM.
We will keep you posted on what happens next because this adventure is far from over.
Always In The Middle
13 years ago
4 comments:
So, does that mean back to Fredricksburg???
Wow, what a roller coaster ride!!!
I'll be staying tuned.
No Fredericksburg. Do stay tuned though.
Wow, I am sorry that it didn't work out. It is too bad.
I will stay tuned also!!! And give you guys all the support I can give through blogger!!!!
Kris...I just now got a message on my cell phone that you sent on the 27th. Acutally, that very day I felt the need to especially as God to bless you and your family. I do this with each of you but...I felt such a need to do so for YOU. Remember...have no regrets, look forward to other days and leave the rest to Heavenly Father. I love you! Mom
Post a Comment