Monday, June 9, 2008

More on the airport trip

Just a couple more details. We left at 7:00 a.m. because our driver said traffic can be pretty unpredictable. Fortunately, things went in our favor on the way. The problem with going to the airport is the road has frequent car-jackings, kidnappings, and murders. There are usually 5-10 kidnappings a week. Car-jackings are more frequent. When kidnapping, the criminals will usually crash into you, then kidnap the occupants. Robberies and car jackings are a little less discreet, they will just brandish a firearm, and if you don't pull over, they start shooting, then rob you anyway.

Yes, I did chew out the security guard. I speak pretty decent Spanish, but it gets even better when I am mad. I was really mad. I called the embassy , unfortunately, I was told that they would not do anything to help my wife and kids. So I said a fervent effectual prayer - very quickly, then called Gert back. Fortunately she was on her way. I was glad for the foresight to make sure she had a cell phone "just in case." More importantly, the whole experience reminded me of what a wonderful wife I have. I feel very sorry for the moron who decides to try to get between Garity and our boys.

While I was feeling somewhat disappointed for having to solve this problem by getting away from it, the airport incident was a solid testimony to me that this was the right decision (I like the cake analogy Gert used). I know it sounds more noble to suck it up and work through a problem, and that is generally how we handle things. However, when things are overwhelmingly stacked against you, and you didn't cause the situation, running away is a very good solution (believe me, Garity and I tried EVERYTHING we could before it came to this). Joseph solved the problem with Potiphar's wife by running away. Lehi and his family ran away from Jerusalem. The early Saints ran away from their homes to Utah. Occasionally, the best solution to a problem is to just flush the toilet.

11 comments:

Janet said...

I have an amazing and wonderful son...who loves his wife and children. What more can a parent pray/ask for? Love you all very much.

Your Mom

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

I am so glad that Garity and the boy's are safe at home. We hope you get there soon. You are a great brother and I wouldn't expect you to make anything but the best decision for your family.
love,
Bear

Janet said...

Kris and Garity,

WOW! You defintely made the right decision. Glad everyone is OK. So Kris, when do you get to come back??? Our prayers are with you...

Rob

Janet said...

When I told Rob what had happened to all of you, he hadn't heard yet & wanted to read about it quickly and hadn't yet opened up a Google a/c. I sent him the INFO & told him to just use my a/c to read up until he got one open...whatever. I know you probably figured that out...but thought I'd explain why the "Janet said" comment...was from Rob:}}} Your family / siblings sure love all of you and are praying for you! Line Power!!! Hope you are home soon, Kris...let me know when you are in the states.

"Your" Mother Bear.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I want to flush the toilet so I can go do something else but sometimes there's nothing like a good book, a kids stool, and a comfy porcelain seat.

I easily get flush-tered.

Garity said...

That's very well said Kiwi! When you are in it for the long haul like you and Michael are, you really need a good book. (You have to check out their blog to see all the crap they are going through...pun intended)

Holly said...

I can't imagine anyone would even question your decision to leave. I'm still amazed you even tried! I pray for all of you every night. Please stay safe Kris! Garity and boys hang in there. We love you!

ganelle said...

WOW! I hadn't checked your blog for a couple weeks, and Oh My GOSH! Sure sounds like you guys made the right decision to come back to the USA. (Only now you'll be around for all the '08 election stuff - and you thought Caracas drove you nuts! ;)

Glad you have you back!

FOX said...

Kris you DID marry well!

Sirk said...

I sure did!