Friday, January 23, 2009

Puke Freckles and La Ciudadela

Last Saturday night we went out to dinner only to wake up the next day sick. I was the only one throwing up, everyone else had upset stomachs and every thing else that goes with that (other than throwing up). Kris gave me a bad time because every time I throw up I get broken capillaries around my eyes. He calls them my "puke freckles" and I've spent the majority of my pregnancy with them. After a few days they leave me with a yellowish green cast around my eyes. I'm not one of those who is glowing and rosy while pregnant.

On Monday everyone was feeling a little bit better and Kris was home for the holiday. We had been planning on going to La Ciudadela for several weeks (and I had been saving up money!) so when Kris asked if we should go I figured what the heck, I wasn't as sick as I was on Sunday and the kids seemed to be doing better as well.

La Ciudadela is an Artisan market in the heart of Mexico City. Handicrafts from all over Mexico can be found here. While it is a little more expensive than going to the towns where the things are made, it is a one stop shop for everything you can find in Mexico.

Kris has been wanting to buy a guitar and learn how to play. One of his co-workers had a guitar custom made for his son at this shop so we had to stop and check it out. Before we left Kris bought his first guitar and surprised me with the go-ahead to have a guitar custom made for myself. They measured me and my hands for a perfect fit. I chose the woods I wanted them to use. Cocobolo for the finger board, and caoba, a kind of mahogany, for the back and sides. I can't remember the name of the wood that I wanted them to use for the guitar face but it is a lighter colored wood and of course asked them to stain the face emerald green. I also picked out my own rosette and tuning keys (ebony). All this for a complete steal! So now I need to pick it back up and actually practice! I've been a slacker with it this past year since my guitar was in our shipment and I haven't touched it since I unpacked it.



I have no idea what Weston was doing.



Everything was so colorful. The boys decided to use a lot of their money to buy these little bobble head animals you can see in this picture next to Jamison's right hand. They now have quite the collection and want to get some more. I guess I did the same thing when I was their age but in Brazil's Hippie Fair (kind of the same thing as La Ciudadela but completely outdoors) I would spend all my money on little painted animals made out of rock, clay and/or marbles. These are made out of wood and are pretty cute.

OF COURSE I bought one of each color of these frogs. I'm still a sucker when it comes to frogs. The red one isn't on display but just switch one of the blue ones for a red one and you'll get it. Now I just need to decide where I'm going to hang them, probably on the wall over one of the garden areas in the house or in the bathroom I have decorated with bright talavera pottery.

And then we decided to brave the food again even after Saturday night's meal experience. This was a little restaurant inside La Ciudadela that looked pretty good and was recommended. These are called Sopes (so-pez) and I love them. The sope is made out of masa (corn flour) and grilled so they are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. You fill them with whatever and stuff your face (good idea to remove the lettuce and tomato first though). We felt a little sick later that night but we weren't sure if it was still from Saturday or from what we ate earlier. You never know here.



Kris and the "damn Blackberry" he is required to take everywhere so HQ or his agents can reach him whenever they need to...which often means all day and all night.

Jamison is our rice boy. He loves the stuff. He'll eat everything else but if there is rice on the table he wants that first.

Braedon also loves sopes. Notice his hair. He's been 'doing it' by himself which means plastering his bangs to the side when wet. We keep telling him not to do it like this but you know how well that works. Just as long as he doesn't blame it on us when he gets older.

For the record, Mexicans LOVE cheese. We have to remember to ask for light cheese otherwise there is just gobs of the stuff. They don't smother stuff with cheese like we do in the States, rather they stuff it inside everything. There are several States in Mexico that are known for their cheeses. Kris and I are slowly making our way through and trying them all. To give you an idea of how much they love gobs of cheese, there is a dish called queso fundido which is basically a mound of cheese or mixture of cheeses melted by frying or baking in a clay dish (think half a brick of Costco cheese for the amount) often with extras mixed in like chorizo, herbs or chilies. They then bring it to your table with tortillas and you scoop up the melted cheese into the tortilla, fold it up and eat. I love cheese with a passion but this is just too much for me. Kris and I watched a table of "suits" each with THEIR OWN clay dish of the stuff just eat and eat between swigs of beer. I can't even eat that much cheese in one sitting! On several different occasions we saw the same thing happen so it must be the "thing". Thankfully, Mexico is the second fattest country (we see why) so they can't look at us and call us Fat Americans which is really nice to know because it only makes us enjoy the food even more!

I told Kris it was probably time to take the Christmas tree down. Cricket has been using it as her own personal climbing post. I e-mailed Kris this picture when he was in a meeting (sent it to the "damn blackberry" since I knew he'd get it) and meant it a subtle hint. He came home and took the tree down.

17 comments:

Holly said...

Oh you crack me up! The cheese sounds good, I wanna visit for some of that great Mexican food. Halle gets "cough" freckles, has a cold and covered with them all over her cheeks and arms! Weird on the arms, thought it was a rash at first...but no. Love the colorful pictures! I just took my tree down a week ago. I have a "damn i phone" (okay, I rarely use swear words, but you are a bad influence :-) but I love it. It goes with me everywhere too. Life pre i-phone, how did I manage? Scary. Hope you will feel better soon, how soon by the way, when are you due? Love you all!

monika said...

LOVE Braedon's hair! We have been going through our own hair wars around here. I thought I would only have trouble with the girls, but the BOYS are a bit more opinionated about their hairstyles than I thought they would be. I am NOT allowed to have one boy's hair cut too short, and another just dies if it gets too long.... I love that you have documented his "style" in pictures. Now you just sit back and wait for the day you show them to his girlfriends....:) I am waiting for my boys' future dates with glee.

Anonymous said...

-I think Weston is trying to say something from the Godfather in that picture.
-You know how I feel about guitars so where's my custom made one? ;)
-If I come there can I cut their hair?
-Do we know if your baby is a boy or girl yet and if not when do we know?

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

My boys just peed their pants when they saw the cat picture. Sam thinks it's "way cool" that you guys play the guitar. I love real Mexican food. We just loved it when we tracted the Mexican neighborhoods in New Orleans, they always gave us lunch. The only cheese they used was queso duro , they probably can't afford anything else in the States. Your blog makes me hungry.

FOX said...

Sorry you were so sick... and oh I am your puke freckle sister... so sorry you have to go through that!!!

OK, so I have a lot to say!!! Here goes!!

1. Brandon is ALL about the cheese! And we CANNOT wait to go eatn' with you. (minus the place that made you sick :)

2. OH, my Christmas tree is still up too! Decorations and all, but no cute kitty in it! Maybe I should let our chinchilla play in it!!!

3. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! I can't wait for you to post pictures of your guitar!!!!!! Brandon is going to be SO jealous!!! I vote for you to take a video of you playing it for your post!!!!

4. So when Brandoneous and I were first married, every time we drove to TJ (which was all the time) we got one of those bobble head animals, and then, since we had cheap-o cars, we would glue them to our dash board!!! We bobbled everywhere we went!!!! The saddest part of this other then our lack of taste of car interior, was the fact that we started doing this before we had kids. (Not sure what our excuse was!!!)

TTYL Hope you are feeling betta'!!!!

YouHaveHowMany? said...

LOVE all the pictures and colors and explanations! Your boys have grown up so much!

Garity said...

Holly- Kris would agree that I am a bad influence. It's a hard job but I love it. Due in May, I guess I should add that to the blog "expecting" banner

Monika- I thought I was in the clear with boys and hair. Kind of shocked that they actually "do" it. Kris cut their hair this last time and I hate when he does. He likes the whole high-and-tight while I (and the boys) like it longer. Braedon especially looks a lot better with longer hair (not long really, just fuller, especially with longer bangs). Kris has been officially banned from the clippers until further notice.

Kyra- We won't know what the baby is until he/she is born. I'm pretty sure it's human although I wonder because it is beating the heck out of my insides and I'm just over 5 months along, this shouldn't be happening until later!!!! Don't think I can handle it getting much stronger but this one really likes my pelvic bone, argh! Had a nightmare the other night about vampire babies since this one already wakes me up at night.
As for the Guitar, when you visit we'll go and have one made and then I'll just send it to you.

Kerry- Be careful when you say "real" Mexican food. Real Mexican food, we have learned, comes complete with diarrhea. ("Real Mexican food" was how that restaurant that made us sick was described to us before we went). Don't worry, there are plenty of places here where we know the hygiene is up to par with US standards or at least closer to it. Even then you are taking a chance, eating here is like playing Russian roulette....very tasty Russian roulette.

Christina- video of me playing...ummm...I don't think so...after a few beers...maybe...so you are pretty much out of luck. You'd think I could do something like that but I can't even sing in church (did my first quartet during the Christmas program and I nearly died). I can speak in public no problem and spout off opinions to complete strangers but that is where it ends.

Rebecca- I just finished reading your blog before I got onto mine and am still laughing. Oh boys!

ganelle said...

Maybe you get sick, but MAN that food looks super delicious!!!

Love the market - I'd love to spend some time there!

Jose Valle said...

why is it that after each time I read your blog I get in the mood for Mexican food?

Garity said...

Jose...that's the draw with Mexican food, a picture tempts a thousand taste buds.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you played the guitar. Are you keeping your talents hidden. I love to hear the guitar being played. I read that there will be no video. I think Kris should sneak one when your trying it out and post if for us all to enjoy. That way there will be no stress for you and we'll get to here you.
Taylor has been in the "do my own hair" mode for the last year. I only let her "do" it on Saturdays and then if we leave the house I usually redo it.

noelle said...

oh, this is good... you play the guitar. tucking that away in my brain for future reference...

and the food. so delish, right? how can we resist... i just always tote around a bottle of pepto...

and p.s. are you coming to the museo tomorrow? did you wanna meet at my house or head straight there? let me know if you need directions.

Garity said...

Ummm, I don't think I claimed in my post to "actually play" I would use that term pretty loosely to describe it. On the otherhand, hand me a sax, oboe, or clarinet and I can do much better. Give me a while longer before I can actually claim that I "play".

monika said...

Btw...have I ever complimented you on the gorgeous color of your eyes?? I don't think I know anyone with green eyes that are really green... I have always loved your eyes!

Sirk said...

The green eyes - yes - I remember fighting a very old Chinese sorcerer once to get her back after she was kidnapped. The eyes are very pretty.

monika said...

LOL! Love it, Kris!

Garity said...

Oh, you are so funny Sirk, we haven't watched that movie in ages!