Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mordida de Burro

Down the street from our home there was a Nativity display with live animals the kids could feed and pet.
Weston loved the lambs and rabbits
Braedon loved the burros and lambs
Jamison loved the pigs and burros
I loved the pigs
No one liked the calves because they tried to lick us way too much! (Calf saliva is just like snail slime...ewwww!)

The boys had so much fun the first time we went that I promised we'd come back a 2nd time. These pictures are from both days.

I should clarify that Jamison really loved the pigs and burros until the very end of our 2nd visit. Mama burro saw that Jamison had a fist full of carrots and reached for them mistaking his arm for the carrots. Burros aren't very smart. It quickly released Jamison and he was left with a red welt we smothered daily with Neosporin but thankfully no skin was torn. Even now when we ask him "where is your mordida de burro?" he raises his arm and points.

Kris and I had a bit of a disagreement about whether "Donkey Bite" is mordedura del burro or mordida de burro. I went with his translation since his Spanish is better than mine...mordida it is! I'm really getting frustrated with Spanish...I still hate it (have hated it ever since 6th grade Spanish in Peru!) and hope to never have to speak it again after this.
















8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Poor little guy! That welt looks painful!

Glad your kids liked the animals. Petting zoos just gross me out!

Garity said...

You and me both Jenn but you would have been shocked (as I was, especially being here in Mexico City) at how clean this one was! Every hour they would sweep out the stalls and add new hay, you couldn't smell urine or feces at all! The animals were actually clean! Petting zoos as a rule are just disgusting but this one wasn't bad...the kids still had to goop on purell when we were done and go right to the sink once home!

monika said...

This petting zoo looks like a really good one. I like the idea of those things, but never can stand the reality. I am not showing my kids this post, though, lest they get the idea to pester me about going to such a place!

I can't seem to remember verb conjugations in spanish. I can slowly puzzle out recipes and Harry Potter, but the spoken words are so fast, and not usually precise, so I get lost quickly.

In a mistaken attempt to learn more spanish vocab, I have been known to wander around, spanish dictionary in hand, pestering the kids with spanglish requests. I am pretty sure these are badly cobbled together grammatically, but they don't know the difference, so no one dares correct me. One place I am still right even when I am wrong!

Holly said...

Thanks for sharing Garity. Have you seen our new family web site? Kris has the link. Add us to your Famn Damily list will you? :-) Owwee baby! Glad he was okay.

Happy The Man said...

My conversational Spanish has dried up and withered away after 25 years, but mordida de burro sounds right to me. But it could be a colloquial thing too. For example, in Argentina you better say "agarrar" if you want to grab something. The Mexican use of the word "coger" is extremely offensive to Argentines (and Chilenos too I believe).

There are probably 1000's of such colloquialisms.

I'd love to be multi-lingual, speaking many many different languages. Unfortunately, I can barely use my first language all that properly...

ganelle said...

neat twist on the nativity. sorrt about the nip!

FOX said...

ohhhhhh that is so sad!!... stupid burro!!!!! I had a burro when I was a kids!!!! He wasn't as fun to ride as the ponies...

Live nativity... only in Mexico. hehee

noelle said...

owww, poor jamison. it cracks me up that you hate the spanish language. i can see that. you're a pretty straightforward, say-it-like-it-is kind of gal. and spanish is so... long-winded. all the que's and la's and lo's and de's, etc. hope you guys are feeling better after a week of food poisoning!